Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: how to root android under ubuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    1,188
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    how to root android under ubuntu

    Hello,

    here is a small how to about rooting an android phone using linux environment. So, let's get started!

    1) open synaptic and install the package eclipse
    2) install sdk tools, which will enable you to install adb (emulator shell), which will help you to issue the commands from ubuntu in order to root your phone
    e.g. your android version might be froyo
    go here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html and download the SDK Tools, r18 on the left hand side of the page (mind that the number 18 might not be the same)
    3) unzpip the file, go into the folder tools and execute ./android
    a graphical environment will open and from there install all those packages (click them) which are specific to your phone
    4) go then into platform tools and initiate the adb like ./adb
    5) follow this guide here: http://blog.mx17.net/2011/08/howto-r...-mini-pro.html
    which explains what you do after you have installed the sdk package with the adb emulator shell
    ATTENTION
    i) connect your phone, do not mount it (I did not)
    ii) the first two parts of the provided guide (step 5) should be accomplished from your terminal and NOT from the adb shell
    iii) in the end, while rebooting, your phone might not actually reboot, yet just shut down, just open it yourself

    6) get rid of the unnecessary apps that eat your memory
    follow this: http://ot-990.blogspot.com/2012/03/h...lcatel-ot.html
    and install the packages from here:
    http://www.apktops.com/es-file-explorer-1-6-1-3.html
    http://www.apktops.com/link2sd-2-0-3.html

    it is better to move the apps you do not need under /sdcard/backups/apps

    the apps that I safely removed were:
    vending (android market)
    youtube
    twidroid
    touchpal and all its components (have an alternative keyboard installed though)
    shazam
    marketupdater
    maps
    layar
    google all
    gmail
    geniewidget
    fbandroid
    accuweather
    parlingo

    more or less 20MB of internal storage and 50MB of internal memory will be freed like that
    I noticed that after I had rooted my phone, it became more responsive...

    Hope it helped,
    Regards!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Beans
    13
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Thanks for sharing your method. But I think a lot of the steps you provide here are for setting up the android development environment and are not really necessary for rooting your phone. Do you know of an straight forward guide for moding android phones and installing new images such as the CyanogenMod on them?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    1,188
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Hello,

    glad if it can provide some help. Concerning your answer I have not dealt so much with installing other roms on my phone. I do not know whether this link helps:
    http://x-ewra.blogspot.gr/p/manual.html

    This is what I came across, while searching some days ago out of curiosity. If they implement CyanogenMod on my phone, maybe I will search it a little bit more as they say that is really nice rom.

    Regards!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    3

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by arasbm View Post
    Thanks for sharing your method. But I think a lot of the steps you provide here are for setting up the android development environment and are not really necessary for rooting your phone. Do you know of an straight forward guide for moding android phones and installing new images such as the CyanogenMod on them?
    To root nearly all Android devices on Ubuntu you can use SuperOneClick from here:
    http://shortfuse.org/?page_id=2

    Support can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

    To install a custom recovery such as CWM et al you will still need the OP's method for setting up ADB and/or Fastboot to flash the recovery image which will then allow you to flash custom roms to your hearts content

    Here is another good guide:

    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20770-gui...tu-and-mint12/

    With Ubuntu popularity on the rise there are more and more good how-to's out in the Android community as well to peruse.

    Of course...these are just more suggestions to follow on from the original post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    90
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    I just got my first Android phone yesterday and it looks like I will root it by tonight.
    So thanks for the guide.

    The idea that I cannot remove some apps on my phone annoys me. F.e. Facebook app (not from market, the one that comes with phone). For the love of god, just let me uninstall the thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    1,188
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by psyclechick View Post
    To root nearly all Android devices on Ubuntu you can use SuperOneClick from here:
    http://shortfuse.org/?page_id=2

    Support can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

    To install a custom recovery such as CWM et al you will still need the OP's method for setting up ADB and/or Fastboot to flash the recovery image which will then allow you to flash custom roms to your hearts content

    Here is another good guide:

    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/20770-gui...tu-and-mint12/

    With Ubuntu popularity on the rise there are more and more good how-to's out in the Android community as well to peruse.

    Of course...these are just more suggestions to follow on from the original post
    nice to add superoneclick here in this thread. Unfortunately, as you mention, is works nearly for all phones, and mine was an exception to this rule. From what I have seen it might be the fastest way for rooting phones if it works.

    Thanks also for the nice comments. I just wrote down what it worked for me also for other users to check out.

    Quote Originally Posted by sunfromhere View Post
    I just got my first Android phone yesterday and it looks like I will root it by tonight.
    So thanks for the guide.

    The idea that I cannot remove some apps on my phone annoys me. F.e. Facebook app (not from market, the one that comes with phone). For the love of god, just let me uninstall the thing.
    I hope that this is helpful and yes! you will be able to get rid off those apps that you think are redundant. Watch out though, which applications you are uninstalling as this might cause some problems to your phone. E.g. I do not use the default messages application, yet I have seen that it is not a nice idea to remove it. I just froze it. And do not remove jrdsensor, if you have such kind of an application.

    Regards!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Thx your method, Claus7. But unfortunately the step 5 can not be followed because of /sqlite_stmt_journals dir can not be founded on my phone (Samsung Galaxy 3 with 2.2 (Froyo)). Any solution? (I use Ubuntu 12.04). Thx!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by arasbm View Post
    Thanks for sharing your method. But I think a lot of the steps you provide here are for setting up the android development environment and are not really necessary for rooting your phone. Do you know of an straight forward guide for moding android phones and installing new images such as the CyanogenMod on them?
    That depends on the manufacturer of the phone. For Samsung phones, for example, you can use Heimdall for that. Instructions for Ubuntu installation can be found here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Beans
    42

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by sunfromhere View Post
    The idea that I cannot remove some apps on my phone annoys me. F.e. Facebook app (not from market, the one that comes with phone). For the love of god, just let me uninstall the thing.
    Well said!
    Ubuntu 11.04, Sony VAIO Netbook, VPCM111AX, dual atom processor,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    38.9xxx N / 77.2xxx W
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: how to root android under ubuntu

    at the minumum you will need adb AND Fastboot to root any device iOS / Android / Samba its just the facts.......everything else in the OP is for running a development build enviroment, You ABSOLUTLEY DON'T need eclipse for rooting any android....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •