Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

When you partition with ext4, it has a journal which helps with file recovery. But journal takes space. Also Ubuntu typically reserves 5% that you do not really see unless you start calculating sizes, so system will not run out of space and crash.

What I have not seen anyone post is how to add nomodeset for nVidia or other video issues with UEFI. With BIOS it is hit any key, then f6 and choose.

Someone posted this, but each vendor's UEFI may be different, I think it is after an install to add grub to the UEFI menu, if it did not install correctly:

Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Man, this sucks. I finally had old-school BIOS figgered out, and now I gotta start all over again?

If this is the best that Ubuntu Docs has to offer, we're in trouble.

Well, I'm in trouble anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    Not seeing these options in my boot menu. It gives me the option of booting to either USB 2.0 Corsair or USB 2.0 UEFI Corsair so I have set the latter and I will try installing now.

Beans
    Distro

OK started install it is asking me for device for bootloader install, Am I correct this would be the 250 MB partion in FAT 32?

or is it the 1 mb Bios_Grub partition?

Or do I want the ROOT partition?

Seemed a lot easier when I installed 10.10
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 4th, 2012 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With UEFI, it has to be the efi partition.

It was the old BIOS installs that you chose the MBR of the drive.

You should not really be using the bios_grub, it is more a just in case as it is only 1MB, so having it does not really cost any space.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I will try the install tomorrow morning

Beans
    Distro

The reason I had asked you about the choice of bootloader is that when I choose the 250MB partition I get an error and can't proceed. See screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That is not the boot loader but the system.

Even though you partitioned in advance & you know which partition is which the installer does not. You have to choose the partition you want for / (root), and what format you want ext4 (or ext3). First time you also choose swap, and if separate partition for /home and its format. If a reinstall when you choose /home you DO NOT format it.

Then the combo box below specifies where to install the grub2 bootloader. That is designed for BIOS/MBR and I am not sure what it does for UEFI, try the efi partition. gpt partitions have a protective MBR and if grub2's boot loader is installed to it, it will not cause any issue but then grub probably will not boot in efi mode, but may in BIOS? and then you can fix the UEFI boot if necessary.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much for guiding me. I have Ubuntu installed and I checked Gparted and it seems in order. I skipped grub2bootloader .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ SuperFreak

Is it working? If so document what you did, so others that look at this thread can also learn.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast