Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

Beans

Re: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

Hi niglas, i just need an confirmation. Is this a guide for a GPT UEFI system with a dual-boot Linux + Windows 7 installation?:

https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi..._UEFI_boot_USB

Are you configuring everything in the USB thumb and when you are installing you are not doing any more configuration if you use that guide?

Is it like that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi had a bit of a battery problem that I fixed. Now back to trying to install on a GPT HD.
    I have a brand new Lenovo G770 with a InsydeH2O bios V3.08 which is UEFI.
    When booting from the latest 12.04 daily live (USB), Gparted doesn't offer me to format the ESP as a EFI start partition (fat32 with the boot flag), which would mean that I'm not booting into EFI mode. This kind of Bios doesn't offer any option even mentioning UEFI.
    I'll try to move along with the installation process and shall post the results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

Quote Originally Posted by niglas View Post
    It all depends on if the live CD (USB) is booted in UEFI mode. Check in UEFI BIOS boot prio if the (blue) flag "UEFI" is detected [screenshot 4] on the USB memory, otherwise you'll not be offered the "EFI start partition".
    I use a 16gb Sandisk USB stick to install from. It is detected in Asus EFI BIOS which displays two devices for my USB stick ("Sandisk" and "UEFI Sandisk").

The problem for me is that it never boots if I choose the UEFI version.

I built my stick in win using "Universal USB Installer" as mentioned on the Ubuntu home page.

Question: Does unetbootin do something special to the USB stick to allow it to be booted as UEFI?

Question: Which Ubuntu version did you succeed installing with this? I am trying 32bit 12.04...

EDIT: Question: Did you use some special version of unetbootin?
    Last edited by jruden; April 17th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: remembered another question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you look at ISO/CD/Flash you will see this:
    /efi/BOOT/bootx64.efi

That is the file the UEFI menu on your system should find to boot in UEFI mode.

But when installed on a hard drive it is
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

Some UEFI system may only look in one place? It is known that the UEFI implementations are not all the same as the standard is not totally clear or allow some interpretation.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

I have checked now and i386 version of 12.04 does not even contain an /efi folder on the ISO. Thus it seems(?) amd64 is the way to go. So I downloaded that and "burned" it to the USB with unetbootin.

Yay! It does start when I boot the stick with UEFI! And Yay #2 it does allow me to set type EFI on a partition.

After installation though, it behaves oddly. Sometimes it does not start. Sometimes it comes to a grub menu, but I get errors when I choose ubuntu, memtest or my windows7 (which is on a completely different drive).

Will try with daily build and see if that works better...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Installation completed on the the Lenovo G770 with InsydeH2O Bios. It was successful.
    Here are the steps I followed:
    The drive partition table is GPT. I created a fat32 partition in first position and set the flag to boot (partition type is EFI, checked with gdisk type ef00). Then an ext4 / , an ext4 /home and a swap.
    The installer warned me that with this partition table format in use I should normally have a separate partition for the boot loader code, also it nay still be possible to install the boot loader to a partition. I ignored that, did not create one and went one the installation process.
    It completed nicely. I then installed grub-efi-amd64 and all is working perfectly on this laptop, the system now works just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: GUIDE: (U)EFI installation

The following came with updates today on my other computer (already running 12.04)...maybe they are improving my chances(?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for this guide! UEFI install today went almost perfectly - with one small hiccup.

When specifying the size of the EFI partition, I selected 16MB, as the OP suggested. Due (I think) to the block sizes on my HD, this was automatically rounded to something like 15.7MB. The partitioner halted and gave me an error that it could not create the EFI partition. I think 16MB is the minimum size for this type of partition and the partitioner fails if you make it too small.

When I increased the size to around 20MB or so everything went perfectly.

Beans

Thanks Niglas..
    This thread really saved me and my team..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by medic2000 View Post
    Hi niglas, i just need an confirmation. Is this a guide for a GPT UEFI system with a dual-boot Linux + Windows 7 installation?:

https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi..._UEFI_boot_USB
    I have not had any reason of messing with Microsofts OS yet, but if I will some day, I will post it here. But my general experience says install Windows first, then Linux, 'cause Microsoft tend to do all kinds of funky stuff to your system...

Quote Originally Posted by medic2000 View Post
    Are you configuring everything in the USB thumb and when you are installing you are not doing any more configuration if you use that guide?

Is it like that?
    Nothing tweaked with the USB memory, just use usb-creator-gtk or unetbootin as the guide says, and it will all be set up for you. Remember to download the correct version of the system thou, 64-bit if you have a 64-bit processor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast