Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Ubuntu really take up this much space?

Beans

Does Ubuntu really take up this much space?

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my Acer (currently runs Windows 7). I clicked the option to wipe off Windows 7 and replace it with Ubuntu 11.10. The next screen showed that it would take up 160GB, my whole drive space. Is this just the OS, or did it allocate room for programs, pictures, etc. in that number too?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Does Ubuntu really take up this much space?

Hi,

The OS would take less than 10g and the rest is available.
    I would suggest to make a partition for the OS like 12 to15 g, one for swap and the rest for your home folder. That would help in case you need to reinstall because your files and setting would be there.

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rickyhart91 View Post
    I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my Acer (currently runs Windows 7). I clicked the option to wipe off Windows 7 and replace it with Ubuntu 11.10. The next screen showed that it would take up 160GB, my whole drive space. Is this just the OS, or did it allocate room for programs, pictures, etc. in that number too?

What it's doing is reformatting it and "giving" your harddrive to Ubuntu. However, as someone else mention you could pop in a Live CD and partition it with G-Parted and cut that down to about 25 gigs (I like round numbers ) and then use the rest for whatever, unless you want a full Ubuntu install which is great too!

EDIT:

Also, when you install, you can go to "Advanced Options" on the screen where it asks if you want to use the whole drive, and you can partition it from there!
    Last edited by cbennett926; April 14th, 2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: More details!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by rickyhart91 View Post
    If during the install you chose to let Ubuntu make the choices for you then it would use the whole hard drive. The actual install itself needs far less space than that. If you want, you can boot with the LiveCD and set up the partitions you want in advance using Gparted.. You can look at the Wiki here;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PartitioningSchemes

It will give some suggestions and ideas for partitioning. I like to have at least a root partition / and a separate /home partition in addition to a /swap partition. With a separate /home partition if you need to reinstall or what have you you can keep all your data and settings. You'll find all sorts of ideas for the /swap size, but what I've always done is make the size of /swap the same as my RAM, i.e. I have 4 gigs of RAM so I make a 4 gig swap partition. If you want to hibernate you'll need at least that much space.
    I hope that gives you some ideas. If you need more help just post back.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans

This is my first time installing an OS to my computer so I don't really know all the technical jargon, could you guys simplify it for me?

Beans

Have you read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Answers lots of questions about installs.

Beans

Partitioning means to divide up the hard drive space. You could cut up your 160GB into, say, four 40GB partitions. When the Ubuntu installation says it's going to use 160GB, it just means that the whole hard drive will be in one partition.

Are you using a LiveCD to install Ubuntu or an alternate CD?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newbie-user View Post
    Partitioning means to divide up the hard drive space. You could cut up your 160GB into, say, four 40GB partitions. When the Ubuntu installation says it's going to use 160GB, it just means that the whole hard drive will be in one partition.

Are you using a LiveCD to install Ubuntu or an alternate CD?
    I'm using a flashdrive.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

here is how to set the partitions:

use gparted or partedmagic to create 3 partitions:
    - / : root, bootable, ext4, ~ 12 Gb (take note of its name: /dev/sd? , will be asked when installing in manual mode by the "alternate" iso.
    - swap : about 2 Gb (4 Gb if suspend/hibernate will be used)
    - /home : ext3 or ext4 format, unlimited space to store your data and settings

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start

then when installing via the "alternate" iso, choose the "manual" installation

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
    Last edited by dino99; April 14th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Beans

So would this be correct?

/dev/sda
    >/dev/sda1 ext4 /:root 12287 MB
    >/dev/sda5 swap 4094 MB
    >/dev/sda6 ext4 /home 143655 MB
    Last edited by rickyhart91; April 14th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast