Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Howto make USB boot drives

Beans

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

Nice =)

-------------------

You said this:

"If you have used an installer made with mkusb, you may have problems to use gparted to create something new on the drive. This is why you should wipe the first megabyte. Then gparted will be happy and can install a new partition table and after that partitions and file systems."

So, if I do not need use GParted after, it's best to use the "wipe-whole-device" or not? I do not understand the difference between "wipe-1" and "wipe-whole-device".

Another thing: If I run "wipe-whole-device", I need to create the partition table, partition and file system in the Pen Drive?
    Last edited by renanrischiotto1; May 22nd, 2014 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

For me, a USB pendrive is a temporary device, that I use for several things, and I use gparted to re-partition when I want to do that.

Using mkusb to make an install USB drive from an iso file makes the pendrive read-only because the ISO file system is read-only. So to use the pendrive for example to store files to carry from one computer to another one, it must be re-partitioned. In this case gparted might have problems. Such problems are solved by wiping the first megabyte.

It might be the same problem if you want to use Unetbootin or the Startup Disk Creator. Then you should make a FAT32 file system with gparted. If problems, wipe the first megabyte and try again with gparted.

But if you use mkusb to install another iso file to try another linux distro or version or flavour of Ubuntu, you need not wipe it. mkusb will overwrite the partition table anyway.

-o-

Wiping the whole drive is done in order to remove all information, so that some other person cannot recover it.

Beans

Thanks man

Beans

So....

Would not cause the mkusb not remove the partition table of the Pen Drive and all within the Pen Drive? I say this because an unallocated space is recommended to leave for the erase block of Pen Drive (I learned this on the Ubuntu forum BR '-'), and possibly FAT32 partition (which is the standard of Pen Drive's).
    Last edited by renanrischiotto1; May 22nd, 2014 at 09:21 PM.

Beans

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

The idea with mkusb is to make it safe to clone/flash an iso file or a compressed image file to a pendrive (each byte is copied exactly). The program dd is doing the job behind the curtain. This method does not allow for saving or skipping some space to be unallocated.

On the other hand, gparted will automatically leave the first megabyte unallocated (except the first 512 bytes, where it puts the bootloader and the partition table).

-o-

If you want to use your pendrive for storage at the same time as it is an installer, you should use another method, which uses a read/write file system, for example FAT32. In such cases Unetbootin or the Startup Disk Creator might be better alternatives.

Beans

Great post, but personally i have never had a problem using dd to make a bootbale usb. It has probably worked better than unetbootin and the ubuntu startup disk creator has for me in the past. I guess you just have to make sure you use it correctly maybe? I came across this tutorial which i use when ever i want to make a bootable usb drive www.ivegotavirus.com/how-to-quickest-way-to-make-a-bootable-linux-usb-drive. Its worked for me every time with every sort of distro.

Beans

Thanks for the feedback and the link

I guess you just have to make sure you use it correctly maybe?
    This is the crucial point. If you make a small mistake with dd, it might reverse the process and overwrite what you wanted to save, or the output might be directed to a drive where you keep valuable files. I certainly agree, that dd is a marvelous tool, but without tight control, it can go bärsärk (berserk). This is why I made mkusb, at first only for myself, later on I uploaded it with this tutorial to help others use it in a safer way.

Cloning an iso file to a mass storage device, typically a USB drive, makes a boot drive provided it is a hybrid iso file, post-processed with isohybrid. See
    Code:
    man isohybrid
    This is very reliable, and it is a particularly good for new releases, when the standard tools like Unetbootin might not be ready (if the configuration of the booting has been changed since the previous release).

Beans

Release candidate mkusb8-rc with menus

I'm soon getting ready to upload I have uploaded a release candidate of the mkusb tool to install iso files and compressed image files to mass storage devices (typically but not only USB drives). It is only a bash script, and has been running in crude text mode, but people want eye candy, so I've made menus with dialog (big brother of whiptail), and also improved the identification of devices slightly (replaced calling parted -ls with a home-made bash function). It is still text mode, so runs in text screens and terminal windows.

See the attached pictures, which illustrate the crucial part of mkusb, how to help selecting the correct device and avoid overwriting other devices.

Edit: The file mkusb8-rc is uploaded to

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb/

Check it with the corresponding signed md5sum file.

Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x. 1 nio nio  22877 18 jul 06.46 mkusb8-rc
    -rw-rw-r--. 1 nio nio    581 18 jul 11.27 mkusb8-rc.md5.asc
    The quick start manual and the opening post in this thread are still valid, except the illustrations, that will be updated later on with screenshots of the menus.

Please give me feedback about this release candidate: help me find bugs and suggest improvements!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; 5 Days Ago at 11:19 AM.

Beans

I have started writing a wiki page for mkusb

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

where there is a brief description plus several screendumps
    (pictures as well as text screen dumps) from mkusb8-rc

Beans

The file mkusb8-rc2 is uploaded to

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb/

Check it with the corresponding signed md5sum file.

Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x. 1 nio nio 33407 21 jul 21.34 mkusb8-rc2
    -rw-rw-r--. 1 nio nio   582 21 jul 21.37 mkusb8-rc2.md5.asc
    There is a menu system to select the input file in this release candidate; the input file alias the source in the cloning process

' source file --> target drive'

but it is still possible to enter the input file as a parameter. So the command

Code:
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2
    will start a menu system where you can select the input file and then the target drive, while either of

Code:
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2 file.iso
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2 file.img
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2 file.img.gz
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2 file.img.xz
    sudo path/mkusb8-rc2 wipe-1
    will skip to selecting the target drive directly.

The quick start manual and the opening post in this thread are still valid, except the illustrations, that will be updated later on with screenshots of the menus. See also the wiki page for mkusb https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb where there is a brief description plus several updated screendumps including the new menus.

Please give me feedback about this release candidate: help me find bugs and suggest improvements!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345