Thread: How can I achieve this with Unity.....

Beans

How can I achieve this with Unity.....

Now that Kubuntu is dead and gone, I assume that the kde packages in Ubuntu are going to become less and less well maintained.

I have no moral objection to Unity, I use it quite contentedly on my netbook.

But, my desktop has an unusual X configuration.

My TV is the left of my desktop and a monitor which sits right beside me is the right....movies go on the telly, most other things are done from the little monitor, though I still need the ability to plonk myself down in front of the TV and use the desktop as normal.

Here is what it looks like......

There are two separate panels, one on each screen (although they both show all open windows)

How do I do something similar with Unity......I'm thinking one launcher down the extreme left and one down the extreme right (gkrellm will just have to move )

I am assuming here that since Unity is "an improvement" that replicating the functionality of a "legacy" desktop like KDE should be a doddle????

Any thoughts? (2 separate X screens is a no go, as I need to be able to drag between them and to overlap Chromium by a couple of pixels so that youtube etc goes to the TV when Full Screen is clicked.....That's a very cool thing )

Thanks for any mental CPU cycles you may burn on this
    Last edited by thegoonden; April 13th, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Forgot my manners.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How can I achieve this with Unity.....

Firstly, I'd have to say it looks like BAD movies go on the TV... bwahahaha (OK trolling done)

In the 12.04 version of Unity, you can have two launchers, one on each display. They each show all open applications. You can't however move it to a different screen edge, so you're out of luck on having one at the right edge of the right screen. Apart from that, I can't see anything in your usage description that is patently impossible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I should add that Kubuntu is by no means dead... just heading down a new track

Beans

Thanks, that sounds do-able.
    There's no reason the Monitor HAS to be left right of the TV, putting it on the other side would make a launcher on the left easier to cope with.

As for the movie.......I have no loyalty to the old Star Wars movies, and therefore the newer ones upset me less (but you could drown a nation in the amount of sickly drivel in E2 )

The TV is happiest when showing Babylon5, it purrs its joy

Shan't mark as SOLVED just yet, as there may be others with similar but slightly different requirements