Thread: Lost Windows in Grub2 Menu on Ubuntu 12.04 Beta

Beans

Lost Windows in Grub2 Menu on Ubuntu 12.04 Beta

I'm running the latest beta of Ubuntu 12.04. I have an Intel Raid 1 on my system and Windows 7 was installed first. When i first installed Ubuntu Windows 7 was available in the Grub2 list. I was trying to edit the default value of the menu and somewhere along the way Windows completely disappeared from the list. Can someone help me get it back?

Originally all I edited was /etc/default/grub and changed this:
    from GRUB_DEFAULT=0 ----> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

I've tried running update-grub2 and this is the output:
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-20-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-20-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
    Found Ubuntu precise (development branch) (12.04) on /dev/sda5
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sdb1
    done

YET when I reboot there is still no windows option!!

Pls help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lost Windows in Grub2 Menu on Ubuntu 12.04 Beta

Is the grub menu that you are seeing taking up the whole of the screen? Try pressing the down arrow and see if the Windows entries appear.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If anything is wrong, the new grub 1.99 is not so tolerant of typos. I had a typo in my 40_custom for a long time and it just did not show one boot stanza that I did not realize was not there. With grub 1.99, it would not write a new grub.cfg but created /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new as the error file. Even extra spaces at the end of a line can cause issues.

Grub 1.99 40_custom
    Does not like typos,changed root to set root, cannot have echo, cat, EOF lines
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746868
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

A window called debconf randomly appeared on my dekstop saying "configuring grub-pc." The help says that grub was previously installed to a disk that is no longer present. Perhaps this is due to the intel raid somehow? It lists sda, sdb, and and sda5 which is my linux partition.

I don't really have a lot of time to fiddle with this I think I'll throw the CD in and reformat it. Hopefully that will fix me.

Beans

I deleted the linux partitions and completely reinstalled and this time the system wouldn't even boot to Ubuntu (Although the windows item was back in the menu.) Grub came up, The Ubuntu logo started but then it crashed and went into busybox or whatever.

In the end I think that Ubuntu hates being on a FAKERAID system let alone being dual booted along with Windows 7. Stay away from Ubuntu + Fakeraid I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

there are many who use computers everyday who would give anything for windows to just disappear