Thread: Superscript, subscript and HTML

Beans

Superscript, subscript and HTML

I am a little lost with all the scientific programs if I am honest here...

I would like an application that allows me to type documents with various formulas (needs super / sub script) and bulky bits of text, that I can then convert to a HTML document (for a web page). Anyone know anything simple that can do that? LaTeX is kinda HUGE! Scary software, might come back to that later. Would like something less big and scary if possible ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Superscript, subscript and HTML

Perhaps LibreOffice Math? The formulas can be copied into a LibreOffice Writer document and saved as HTML.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

LaTeX is supposed to be the best for that sort of a thing.
    Its not too difficult to start with. Just open a regular text editor (like Gedit), and start with a basic template page. Or use TexMaker or one of the other LaTeX editors.

As for other ways, depends on how you want to write the formula. By typing it out with your hand (the LaTeX way) or by using the mouse.
    In the latter case, your best bet is mathtype.You can use Word in wine and use mathtype along with it. I think this works, but I have never tried doing it. Also, you can use one of the LaTeX based equation editors, which lets you insert individual letters from the mouse. I have used EqualX, which is in the Ubuntu software center.
    You can save the formula as a png image and put it in HTML.
    You can also save the LaTeX source code and save it, but if you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If super and subscript features are the only ones you need in the formulas from your editor then you might get away by using a WYSIWYG html editor. It is easy to use because it resembles very much with an word processor but can export directly as html pages. I've used KompoZer but I am sure there are many others ...