Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of bugs in 11.10 and 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lots of bugs in 11.10 and 12.04

Is it really necessary to use Wine for all this? If there is a native version (Linux-version) of mplayer available, why use Wine? Wine can often be troublesome, since it doesn't automatically "just work" with every available Windows app.

According to what I've been able to find out just by googling around a bit, there should be no need to use Wine for coreavc with mplayer on Linux:
    http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for...erInstallation

Also, what type of files are your trying to play? A player like VLC or Totem might be able to play your files without any problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What Wine does or does not do well on a given distro is an objective fact, but not the failure of the distro. If it doesn't work well in Ubuntu but does in another, by all means use the other.

Furthermore, WineHQ has a database of what Windows applications do and do not work well. Different versions of the same software perform differently.

Finally, mplayer works natively in Linux. If DirectX content (which is proprietary to Windows) does not play, then use Windows.

Otherwise, VDPAU (NVIDIA) and VAAPI with the XvBA back end (ATI) provide full hardware acceleration in VLC, mplayer and XBMC.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by na5h View Post
    Is it really necessary to use Wine for all this? If there is a native version (Linux-version) of mplayer available, why use Wine? Wine can often be troublesome, since it doesn't automatically "just work" with every available Windows app.

According to what I've been able to find out just by googling around a bit, there should be no need to use Wine for coreavc with mplayer on Linux:
    http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for...erInstallation

Also, what type of files are your trying to play? A player like VLC or Totem might be able to play your files without any problems.
    Oh ho.. mplayer is native there is no offence regarding that but like you can have "dx9" as video output in mplayer (dx9 which is wine version of directx on linux)similarly "coreavc" also works on wine but produces its output on linux native "mplayer" which is done through "dshowserver"
    Also, reason to use coravc is playback of h.264 in .mkv which is much faster on my netbook than any other codec or any netbook, some of you may suggest divx decoder w/o "looping" on HD content but still its lot slower on any atom based CPU.
    There is slight confusion to whether wine is involved in this or not but if you see than i think "dshowserver" is wine dependent.
    Last edited by linkingeek; May 2nd, 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12