Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with HVR-1600, HVR-1800 or PVR-500

Beans

Need help with HVR-1600, HVR-1800 or PVR-500

ok, so first off i am extremely new to linux in general. now onto the problems. i have a media center computer that i (mostly my gf) use to record tv (main purpose). i was using windows 7 media center to do so but as of lately the guide went out and so we've been scheduling recordings based off the time we know the show is gonna play. i really dont like doing this so i thought "hey i know there are other solutions ill try some". well none really panned out (nextpvr, mythbuntu, knoppmyth, re-trying windows media center). turns out the HVR-1800 is apparently difficult to get operating. so i decided to buy few new cards (to make life easier). turns out none of them make anything easier. i really want to stick with mythbuntu if at all possible. i cant install older versions for some reason(installation gives I/O errors). 12.04 will install, but i cant use analog sides to get anything. the pvr-500 was the closest to running but i guess in the newest release of mythtv it doesnt work quite right. I NEED HELP! my girlfriend is about to kill me because she cant watch her shows!

ps i use analog cable (that i think has a few QAM channels, so it would be nice to have working but not really that important)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need help with HVR-1600, HVR-1800 or PVR-500

I have two HVR-1600 working well well with mythbuntu 10.10 (linux 2.6.35) and mythtv 0.23-fixes. Although I'm not currently using the analog tuners on these cards, I have used them with 10.10 and 0.23. I'm not using them any more because my cable provider, WOW, now provides all the basic cable channels via clear QAM, so I don't need to use the analog tuners anymore.

I also support another family member's mythtv setup with a PVR-150 (which uses the same ivtv driver as the PVR-500) and an HD-5500. She still needs the PVR-150 to get some content from her cable provider, Comcast. She is running the same 10.10, 0.23 version that I am running.

I think mythtv 0.24-fixes will probably work as well as, and maybe better than 0.23-fixes, but I haven't upgraded. One thing I've learned in the nearly five years I've used mythtv is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So I plan on sticking with the environment I have until I'm forced to upgrade, like if/when a mother board dies and needs to be replaced with something that is only supported by a newer kernel.

Based on the reports I've seen on the mythtv mailing lists, my impression is that support for analog tuners has regressed with the 3.x kernels and/or mythtv 0.25 found in ubuntu/mythbuntu 11.10 and 12.04. Maybe it will improve with 12.10.

It looks like mythbuntu 10.10 is still available for download via:
    http://mythbuntu.org/downloads
    Click on "Historical downloads" to see it. What I'm not totally sure of is, if you install it, whether you'll be able to get the latest fixes for either 0.23 or 0.24. But since you don't seem to have a working solution, it might be worth a try. It's also possible that 11.04 will work, since it is based on linux 2.6.38. Plus 11.04 will be supported until this fall. I wouldn't waste time on 11.10, because it's based on linux 3.0.

Just be sure, whatever versions of mythbuntu and mythtv you choose, that you install mythbuntu-repos to get the latest bug fixes for the version of mythtv you plan to use. Then use Update Manager to update, and repeat until there are no more updates. Once that is done, and you've rebooted, only then should you try to configure mythtv.

HTH,
    Helen

Beans

The cx18 driver for the HVR-1600 works fine for analog on all 3.x.x kernels I've tried. And, as I discovered last night when I blew the dust off an ancient PVR-150 ( = 1/2 of a PVR-500) after 4 years and plunked it into a machine in order to do some video capturing off a VCR, the ivtv driver for kernel 3.2.21 (at least) also works perfectly, once I tracked down the old ivtv firmware.

What doesn't necessarily seem to work perfectly is setting up analog on one of these cards in a clean new Mythtv installation on 0.24.0 and above including 0.25.x. mythtv-setup doesn't seem to be always able to find /dev/video0 to set it up though the device node gets properly registered when the driver loads at boot.

This glitch doesn't appear to affect Mythtv 0.23.x and earlier. And it doesn't seem to affect upgrades from 0.23.x and earlier installations to 0.24.x or 0.25.x, where analog continues to work after the upgrade. There was a thread on this earlier: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2004450

I can't speak to the HVR-1800, which I've never used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klc5555 View Post
    the ivtv driver for kernel 3.2.21 (at least) also works perfectly, once I tracked down the old ivtv firmware.
    KLC, you are royalty around here, but I'm challenging your assertion that the IVTV drivers work perfectly given our issues noted here: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10732. Were those issues sorted out by using older ivtv firmware, and, if so, where did you find it and what versions seemed to work best on the Hauppauge MPEG cards?

Beans

thanks for the responses, but still doesnt really help because i still cant install older versions of mythbuntu for some reason(i also cant install older versions of ubuntu or any other flavor of linux on this machine for some reason). i tried to install 12.04 and make/install mythtv 0.24 but for some reason i ran into problems (something about not having a config.mak file). so im stuck with mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv 0.25. i kinda got the digital side of the hvr1600 working (it found channels and it can change channels but the colors are all off?). i happened to find that article about the hvr-1600 analog, but it sounded like what he did was install an older working version of mythbuntu, backup the config files, then install the new mythbuntu and use the old settings. still stuck without a machine to run the older distributions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousdog View Post
    KLC, you are royalty around here, but I'm challenging your assertion that the IVTV drivers work perfectly given our issues noted here: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10732. Were those issues sorted out by using older ivtv firmware, and, if so, where did you find it and what versions seemed to work best on the Hauppauge MPEG cards?
    The ivtv firmware version I ended up using was ivtv-firmware-20080701, which I found left over on one of my old drives. Worked fine. Still available, of course, here: http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/ Transferred some 6 hours of VCR recordings so far to disk with this PVR-150 and firmware combination on the ivtv driver supplied with plain-vanilla 3.2.21 kernel source, with more recordings to follow.

However, since this is VCR video capture to disk, plain and simple, I haven't been using the PVR-150 card with Mythtv. Rather just tuning the card from a prompt with ivtv-tune and "cat"-ing the card's output directly to a file on disk, while watching the output on mplayer. Not worth all the mythtv claptrap for such a simple job. So while I full well believe the bugtrack report, I suspect that this problem might be purely Mythtv 0.25, not anything with the hardware, kernel driver, firmware or OS in general.

On the other hand, I do use the four 1600s I own on Mythtv 0.24.2 and 0.24.3. I needed to install the cards in 0.22 or 0.23 first, configure analog, then upgrade to 0.24 to get their /dev/videoX recognized by Mythtv and their analog to function on the later version. But the 1600s have been completely indifferent to whatever kernel, firmware and cx18 driver version I've thrown at them, so long as the cx18 is later than mid-2010 when the digital amplification issue was fixed. The only current issue I'm aware of is the lag time getting the most recent analog tuners in the latest revisions of this card supported by the cx18 driver developers. Better to buy the older 1600 cards used.

But for the OP, color settings oddities (like "smurfing") can be fixed from the front end, while watching a recording, from the on-screen menu ("m"-key).

I'm more curious about why a still-supported version like Mythbuntu 10.04 (with Mythtv 0.23) can't be installed on your particular machine, whatever it is.

Also whether your 1600 analog suffers from the Mythtv 0.24-and-above bug. In particular whether the output of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep cx18
    indicates that the card's analog device node /dev/video0 has been created. And if the node has been created, does "add Capture Card" in the backend setup indicate any analog tuner whatever (V4l analog or MPEG) on the /dev/video0 node, or if this node is just invisible to mythtv-setup.

Beans

Yes, I do believe the ivtv bug I noted is only MythTV. Tuning actually seems quicker (than with previous distros I've used) and all the v4l-utils and ivtv-utils work like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So I stand corrected, it sounds like you should be able to use 12.04, IF you can somehow do an initial set up with mythtv 0.23, which, if you want to do it the "buntu" way means you first need to install an older distro. I don't recommend 10.04 because of the digital amplification issue that klc mentioned. That problem is fixed in 10.10. And since you want to first use mythtv 0.23 to get the analog side working, I don't think 0.23 is a choice in 11.04 or later. So I think what you need to do is to find a way to install 10.10. Here are some tips that might help.

When you try to boot a 10.10 CD, do you at least get a boot menu? E.g. the one letting you choose whether to install the distro or to run it or to execute memtest? If so, then I suggest the following:

• Choose the option to "try before installing", not the install option, but don't hit Enter just yet. You don't need to go straight into installing from the boot menu. The installer will be available if you can just get to the "try before installing" desktop.
    • Press F6 followed by ESC. This causes the command line for the "try before installing" option to appear.
    • Erase the words "quiet splash" from the command line, and replace them with the word "nomodeset". This will give you a chance to see what's going on during the boot process and, if there's a problem, some clue as to what the problem is. The nomodeset option can help work around issues with certain video hardware.

It's been a while since I booted a 10.10 live CD, so I hope these instructions are good enough to get you to a point where you can install. If not, post back here with error messages you see and more info about your hardware, especially processor, chipset and GPU. Maybe it's just too new to run 10.10.

One more thing, I remember seeing complaints about bad sectors when I booted the mythbuntu 64 bit 10.10 CD. But these were nonfatal and I suspect are caused by some problem with the way the ISO was mastered. The errors just slow down the process of booting. For that reason, I have found booting from a USB stick to be much faster, especially if I didn't reserve space on the stick to save configuration information.

HTH,
    Helen

Beans

I agree with faginbagin's approach.

Except that 10.04 does not need to be ruled out because of the digital amplification issue in the HVR-1600 --there is no need to set up the digital side of the HVR-1600 in Mythbuntu 10.04/Mythtv 0.23 at all: only the analog side needs to be set up prior to the upgrade. The digital half of the 1600 can wait until after the upgrade to be set up and scanned.

The OP should check the model number of his HVR-1600 to see whether it is one of the latest ones, 74301 and 74321, for which new tuners the analog support may still have issues. All the older models work fine.

Beans

the hvr-1600 is a model 1101. the computer is built on this mobo http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4N72E/ and im pretty sure it uses an athlon x2 250. 4 gigs memory and an amd 4670. still trying to work on the system and get things actually running. i guess if i could get the pvr-500 working that would be the best option as of right now, but ill take what i can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast