Thread: Locked myself out of Windows 7

Beans

Locked myself out of Windows 7

I was playing around with chntpw today, seeing if I could change my Windows 7 password just for the fun of it, when something went not as expected (story of my life.) When I try to log back into windows, it still asks me for a password. I have tried my old password, the one I tried resetting it to, and leaving it blank. I've gone back into Linux a few times and ran chntpw again to make the password field blank, but to no avail.

My Windows login screen is also different. The picture I used for my profile has changed to one of the default windows ones. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Locked myself out of Windows 7

See if this will help.

Rest Windows password.

Beans

That's exactly the tutorial I was following to try and play with my password. In other words, that's what locked me out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you still have the additional admin account on Windows 7 you can always reset it that way.

Beans

I managed to create a new account using the command prompt at the login screen. I can't access my old account though, it says there's an internal error. :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Theres a password reset utility in "Hirens boot CD" which looks and feels like chntpw but i think it might use something different because its worked when chntpw has failed.

You can get the CD iso by googling around for it. The site just seems to have information about the CD

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd