Thread: Is my computer compatible with ubuntu?

Beans

Question Is my computer compatible with ubuntu?

Is my computer compatible with ubuntu? I installed ubuntu 10.04 a long time ago and grub shows "missing operating system" the second time I used my computer.

I haven't touched Ubuntu since that happened (except for contributing in Launchpad) but now I want to give it another try after the 12.04 release.

Specs:

ASUS F81S Series
    4GB RAM
    ATI RADEON HD 4570 graphics 512MB
    Intel Core Duo
    Windows 7

Is it compatible with 12.04?

Any help will be appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is my computer compatible with ubuntu?

Check the BIOS and make sure you are booting from the hard drive you have Ubuntu installed on first (and not a USB or anything else). Make sure you have no USB plugged into the machine at boot.

10.04 LTS should work fine on that system and perhaps you should have researched the issue you were having as there's every chance you would get the same with 12.04 LTS. If you boot from the 10.04 LTS LiveCD and 'Try Ubuntu' does everything work fine? If so, the problem is no doubt resolvable.

Incidentally, 10.04 LTS is supported for another thirteen months and is a one click upgrade to 12.04 LTS. I would wait a couple of months after release to upgrade, though.

Beans

I think I remember that I have the ubuntu usb plugged in after that but since it is a long time ago so I don't really remember... But I do remember that I changed the BIOS to first hard disk.

And I asked the forums before. Used boot-repair after.

So can I install ubuntu 12.04 sucessfully if I follow the steps?
    Last edited by emerson1234567890; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:11 AM.

Beans

Oh, now I know my ATI graphics card is the problem.

Beans

ATI graphics have problems (i have ATI radeon HD 7470M 1GB) i instaled driver for it. It ended i needed re-instal ubuntu