Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: c program to compute PI

There's a simpler way.

Still include math.h

Code:
    double pi = 4.0 * atan( 1.0 );
    This works because the units are radians by default (2 radians = 360 degrees)
    The arctangent of one is 1/4 pi
    Just multiply 1/4 pi by 4 and you get pi ^.^

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by iamanidiot123 View Post
    There's a simpler way.

Still include math.h

Code:
    double pi = 4.0 * atan( 1.0 );
    This works because the units are radians by default (2 radians = 360 degrees)
    The arctangent of one is 1/4 pi
    Just multiply 1/4 pi by 4 and you get pi ^.^
    Yes, for odrinairy mortals set with a real-world problem to solve, that would be a good solution.

As I understand it, this thread is about one way someone coming up with a working trigonometric function such as atan() might work it out.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, there are dozen of way to solve PI, but compare to that method, if you want to get millions or billions of decimals, it's kind of slow. Because calculate atan itself may use Taylor expansion. its rate of convergence can not be as fast as that method. This is why it attracts me to try to find information about it.

Pn = An - Bn = ( sqrt(An) + sqrt(Bn) )( sqrt(An) - sqrt(Bn) )
    Pn+1 = An+1 - Bn+1 = (An + Bn)/2 - sqrt ( An*Bn ) = 1/2 * ( sqrt(An) - sqrt(Bn) )^2

When n->infinite, let's find
    lim (Pn+1)/ (Pn)^2 = lim 1/2 * 1 / ( sqrt(An) + sqrt(Bn) )^2 = lim (1/2) * 1/ 4*M (a, b) = 1/(8 M ( a, b ))
    So that it becomes a constant,
    Pn+1 ~ C* (Pn)^2
    Therefore, every iteration could produce double precision of decimal then last time ! which is really fast !

Beans
    Distro

Oh, I may forget it should use sqrt, which uses Newton's iterating theorem, it's slow too when the number of decimal has become skyrocketing, though it has double convergence. Maybe there are some other ways to speed up sqrt, but I don't know about that ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DaviesX View Post
    Oh, I may forget it should use sqrt, which uses Newton's iterating theorem, it's slow too when the number of decimal has become skyrocketing, though it has double convergence. Maybe there are some other ways to speed up sqrt, but I don't know about that ...
    Fast Fourier Transformation can be used, I could not understand the solution but it is available on internet. This problem is a good place to test how fast the convergence is and how many digits can be computed accurately within time limits.
    http://www.spoj.pl/problems/PIVAL/
    And as far as I know, many of the best solutions are implementations of FFT.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your post, but I don't think I can write a program that can compute millions of digits of PI, I think it's hard, will it ?
    I just know how to write a c program without making syntax error for the time being ...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DaviesX View Post
    Thanks for your post, but I don't think I can write a program that can compute millions of digits of PI, I think it's hard, will it ?
    I just know how to write a c program without making syntax error for the time being ...
    One of the easier problems holding you back from many digits will be floating-point precision. I think IEEE 754 only gives you about 50 bits of precison for 64-bit doubles, which is about 15 decimal digits. if you're using C99, you can get just over twice as many digits out of a long double.

Check out GMP, which allows you to use arbitrary-precision numbers in C

http://gmplib.org/

I know this isn't the main question you're trying to answer, but this might be useful as you move forward.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123