Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mythbuntu 0.25 Upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mythbuntu 0.25 Upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by scragglykat View Post
    11.10 was stock with 0.24. Im currently running 11.10 from a fresh mythbuntu install with my db from the upgraded system imported. I dont bother with the myth repo upgrades as i would prefer stability over cutting edge.

As for 12.04/0.25, that was a stock upgrade but the issue persisted with a fresh install of it as well using no previous data. Mythfilldatabase ran with no options, just typed mythfilldatabase and hit enter.
    You really need to read up on what the Mythbuntu repos offer. Sure one of the options is the development version of MythTV, but the other offerings are builds from the fixes branch. After a release, the MythTV team will fix things in the 0.25 branch and push those changes to the fixes branch. Eventually this leads to a 0.25.1 release (Which is nothing more than a snapshot in time from the 0.25 fixes branch). The Mythbuntu repos just builds a new version every day that they make a fix. Further, the MythTV version in the official Ubuntu repos is nothing more than one of the builds we pushed to the Mythbuntu repos.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    After a release, the MythTV team will fix things in the 0.25 branch and push those changes to the fixes branch.
    Having lots of versions your users all call "0.25" must make support fun. I'm having this sense of deja vu... debian-user 1996-04 archive: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00891.html
    Eventually this leads to a 0.25.1 release (Which is nothing more than a snapshot in time from the 0.25 fixes branch).
    Yes, but it's not like that rev was chosen at random. Besides whatever stability there is in 0.25.1 by curation, it's the next significant upgrade lots of other people will install. MythTV upgrades feel scary, even the conservative stuff that goes in -fixes. I want to have the same problems as other people. I want web searches to find "this is a known problem", "it's fixed in r12345", and "it's fixed in mythbuntu package version 20120525-r12345 onward; if you need the fix more than you need stability, get a version after that or add the fixes repository."

I spent several years maintaining my own forked mythbuntu (HD-PVR was the point of no return) and I'd rather not do that again right away.

I'm probably going to fork again eventually (is anybody ever happy with UPnP?) and at that point rejoining -fixes can get really heavyweight. But that's my problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nopdotcom View Post
    Having lots of versions your users all call "0.25" must make support fun. I'm having this sense of deja vu... debian-user 1996-04 archive: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00891.html
    Hmm, must be a good thing that we put the revision and build date in the version then huh.

Yes, but it's not like that rev was chosen at random. Besides whatever stability there is in 0.25.1 by curation, it's the next significant upgrade lots of other people will install. MythTV upgrades feel scary, even the conservative stuff that goes in -fixes. I want to have the same problems as other people. I want web searches to find "this is a known problem", "it's fixed in r12345", and "it's fixed in mythbuntu package version 20120525-r12345 onward; if you need the fix more than you need stability, get a version after that or add the fixes repository."

<snip>
    You are right, it wasn't chosen at random. It was chosen because it was the last build we could comfortably put in before Final Freeze. You'll notice that the build in 12.04

Code:
    2:0.25.0+fixes.20120410.1f5962a-0ubuntu1
    was build a few days before Final Freeze (which is where we can't put any more new builds in).

April 12th
    Quality
    NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline (Tue),
    FinalFreeze,
    LanguagePackTestRebuild (Fri)
    As for 0.25.1 (if there is a 0.25.1), we won't be making a special build of the released version of that. We'll make a build of the 0.25 branch for that day, just like we do every day. We'll increment the number to 0.25.1+fixes.... and keep building.

Beans

The thread title is "Mythbuntu 0.25 experience", not 12.04-release. Users still seem to be using the terms interchangeably.

Having lots of versions your users all call "0.25" must make support fun.
    Hmm, must be a good thing that we put the revision and build date in the version then huh.
    It doesn't seem to be doing you any good right now. Let's go back and look at how people are referring to versions:

Quote Originally Posted by gleepwurp View Post
    upgraded to Mythtv 0.25 from 0.24 post their experiences
    Quote Originally Posted by suinolat View Post
    MythBuntu 11.10 running 0.24, followed the instructions in the FAQ
    3 messages about 0.25; unclear which Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulgirardin View Post
    I attempted the update. The update manager (assuming this means the Ubuntu 11.10->12.04 update manager) told me it would attempt a partial upgrade. … restarted mythfrontend, it still showed version 0.24
    I upgraded from 10.10 all the way up to 12.04 one weekend. Everything was smooth on each upgrade. Everything seemed to work properly and I had no issues. Then on 12.04…mythfilldatabase…sat for over a half an hour just thrashing the harddrive.
    This is probably a Mythbuntu bug report, on version 12.04--some interaction of mythtv.deb and mysql.deb versions really does look like the problem. (This is why I'm here rather than mythtv-users.)
    reinstall at 11.10 … 11.10 worked fine, so I installed 12.04 … it appears something that installs with Mythbuntu 12.04, out of the box, isn't working as it should
    Here's you, correctly pointing out that 11.10 does not imply 0.24:
    When you tested on 11.10, were you using the MythTV 0.24 packages or the MythTV 0.25 packages?
    I understand in excruciating detail why Debian (and Ubuntu) do not and should not version in lockstep with upstream. But Mythbuntu may want to give non-opaque numbers to -fixes releases, visible in the UI--and then train users to be specific what they're reporting against. I know what "2:0.25.0+fixes.20120410.1f5962a-0ubuntu1" means, but it's the first time it came up in the discussion. It would be a lot easier to talk about something like 0.25u01 as an alias. The first fixes release would be called 0.25u02. Nobody is going to tell somebody at lunch "when I upgraded to 2:0.25.0+fixes.20120412.1badca5e-0ubuntu1 my CableCard started working". Everybody is going to call it "latest 0.25", or at best 0.25-fixes. The best you'll get is a date, and the date will be the day they hit apt-get update, not necessarily the package date.

Continuous build/ship scares me; sid is a scary kid. Somebody who doesn't have eight years of data can install before me. You don't have to do anything special for me to pin or hold or whatever my packages. I just think you'll get better feedback and less confused users if you name significant releases in a way they can see and speak compactly.

Regardless of my silly attempt to impose my naming and release system on your project, there is still a problem: a bunch of people are seeing giant performance regressions with some kinds of DataDirect feeds. This seems to be a Mythbuntu 12.04 problem.

Beans
    Distro

<snip>

Regardless of my silly attempt to impose my naming and release system on your project, there is still a problem: a bunch of people are seeing giant performance regressions with some kinds of DataDirect feeds. This seems to be a Mythbuntu 12.04 problem.
    Getting proper logs usually shows the full version number. Getting logs with the Mythbuntu log grabber will get the version number (as well as some other important logs).

Unfortunately, people don't usually post their full logs when opening a thread, so it does require some digging. Some digging is going to be required if we release 1 build per Ubuntu release or 1000 builds.

Anyway, you had originally stated that you didn't want to use the Mythbuntu repos because you wanted stability over cutting edge. I responded to correct that statement. I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to keep arguing about the version numbers.

Back on topic, to troubleshoot previous mythfilldatabase issues, upstream has wanted

mythfilldatabase run with -v file,network --loglevel
    debug, AND a pcap file of it failing.
    The pcap probably isn't necessary for this issue, but I'd say lets gather it in case this needs to go upstream.

Beans

Hi guys. After reading the discussion about which version is in place, etc, I will clarify my info as much as I can:

My fresh install is from the iso downloaded from the mythbuntu web site 5/1/12. (so my understanding is that this is Ubuntu 12.04 + MythTV 0.25), 64 bit.

Additionally, the very first line of my mythfilldatabase.log file says:

May 4 21:13:30 media mythfilldatabase[2471]: C thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging) mythfilldatabase version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25] www.mythtv.org

I was looking through the log just now, and my last run of mythfilldatabase occured a little bit before 2:30 am last night and finished around 7:30 am. It appears that it took roughly 20-30 minutes to finish each day's worth of data.

If you like, I can post that section of my log. I am not super advanced, but if there is any other information that you would like me to get, please let me know and I would be happy to try to accomodate.

Thanks

Beans

Back on topic, to troubleshoot previous mythfilldatabase issues, upstream has wanted
    mythfilldatabase run with -v file,network --loglevel
    debug, AND a pcap file of it failing.
    The pcap probably isn't necessary for this issue, but I'd say lets gather it in case this needs to go upstream.
    Sure; I now have a really boring pair of packet captures...

I decided to log database as well, since the interesting thing is how much faster MyISAM is than InnoDB--all that's changed between the two runs is the default storage engine. The InnoDB run will be going for about another hour I think; here's a snapshot of MyISAM vs InnoDB:
    Code:
    nop@mythtv:/tmp/mfdblog$ head -2 mythfilldatabase.20120507114153.27610.log
    2012-05-07 11:41:53.551208 C [27610/27610] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging) - mythfilldatabase version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25] www.mythtv.org
    2012-05-07 11:41:53.551226 N [27610/27610] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) - Enabled verbose msgs:  general file network database
    nop@mythtv:/tmp/mfdblog$ tail -2 mythfilldatabase.20120507114153.27610.log
    2012-05-07 11:47:45.781819 I [27610/27610] CoreContext datadirect.cpp:573 (~DataDirectProcessor) - DataDirect: Deleting temporary files
    2012-05-07 11:47:45.785840 D [27610/27610] CoreContext mythhttppool.cpp:94 (RemoveListener) - MythHttpPool: RemoveListener(0x7fffe01ed9d0)
    nop@mythtv:/tmp/mfdblog$ head -2 mythfilldatabase.20120507115634.28267.log
    2012-05-07 11:56:34.991773 C [28267/28267] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging) - mythfilldatabase version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25] www.mythtv.org
    2012-05-07 11:56:34.991790 N [28267/28267] thread_unknown mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) - Enabled verbose msgs:  general file network database
    nop@mythtv:/tmp/mfdblog$ tail -2 mythfilldatabase.20120507115634.28267.log
    2012-05-07 12:34:32.533679 D [28267/28267] CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:675 (exec) - MSqlQuery::exec(DataDirectCon) INSERT INTO dd_program      ( programid,    title,       subtitle,              description,  showtype,    category_type,         mpaarating,   starrating,  stars,                 runtime,      year,        seriesid,              colorcode,    syndicatedepisodenumber, originalairdate) VALUES      ('EP015048820003',   'Hotel Impossible',      'The Penguin Hotel, South Beach, Fl.',             'Anthony travels to South Beach to save a family-run boutique hotel.', 'Series',   'series',              '',  '', '0',                '',     '',       'EP01504882',             '',   '102',    '2012-04-16')    
    2012-05-07 12:34:32.569703 D [28267/28267] CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:675 (exec) - MSqlQuery::exec(DataDirectCon) INSERT INTO dd_program      ( programid,    title,       subtitle,              description,  showtype,    category_type,         mpaarating,   starrating,  stars,                 runtime,      year,        seriesid,              colorcode,    syndicatedepisodenumber, originalairdate) VALUES      ('EP015048820005',   'Hotel Impossible',      'The Ocean Manor Resort: Fort Lauderdale Fl',             'The Ocean Manor is full of potential with its beachfront bar and sushi restaurant, but dirty rooms are ruining the hotel's chances.', 'Series',   'series',              '',  '', '0',                '',     '',       'EP01504882',             '',   '104',    '2012-05-07')
    You will note the first run took six minutes, and the second is chugging away 40 minutes later, with the disk light on. I'll upload the complete logs when they finish.

I'm wondering if another approach is to have DataDirectProcessor::GrabData() begin a transaction() before the XML parse into tables, and commit() after. It's not that we care about the consistency of the temp tables, but autocommit defaults to on, turning each request into a transaction. That sounds like a forced disk barrier for each. The MySQL docs suggest the InnoDB log only needs a barrier at the end of a transaction.

Beans

I was wrong; it only took 70 minutes for the InnoDB run. Full logs and summarized captures at http://place.org/~nop/m/mfdblog-2012-05-07.tar.xz. Tar file is 6M, uncompressed 150M.

I'd like to blow away the tarball in the near future; it shouldn't be of much use to anybody who doesn't like to debug database performance issues.

Beans

I did a fresh 64-bit install Friday 20120504 with an ISO downloaded from mythbuntu.org also from Friday 20120504. I too ran into a problem with mythfilldatabase where the fill took 6 hours of HDD churn to complete. I made a change, and again waited out 6 additional hours of what sounded like pain and discomfort for the HDD.

A brief search for knowledge seemed to center around ext4 defaults set to barriers on.

Since this current release of Mythbuntu is straight LTS, and after years of wading through MythTV/Mythbuntu upgrades, I decided to wait it out until more knowledge and available time presents itself or one of the kind distribution/package maintainers sweats the dirty work for us all.

I dusted off my backend, from its dark and hidden place, and retooled it only very recently. I have only been on 11.10 for a couple of weeks. All of that previous hardware was at least 10 years old, minus storage, and the last time I touched the box seems to be 3 years ago over the schedules direct migration. The amount of dust in that forgotten and unappreciated box was horrendous.

It is funny what we take for granted.

If the issue is ext4 barriers, I am interested in the final chosen direction. I am thinking 3 paths:
    1) barrier=0
    2) separate partition for the database
    3) rewrite the extraction translation to have all of the needed data physically on the platter before the final load.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the years of function and enjoyment the community and dedicated individuals have provided. And thanks for making me track down what on earth my old UbuntuForums username and password was...

Beans

Version information is easy to get from dpkg.

Code:
    nick@media:~$ dpkg -l mythtv-backend
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                              Version                           Description
    +++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
    ii  mythtv-backend                    2:0.24.2+fixes.20120316.322de47-0 A personal video recorder application (s[erver)
    dpkg truncates if the window is too narrow, make your xterm full screen before you run it. There is a commandline option to make sure it doesn't truncate anything but I can't recall the details. All your key mythtv packages will be the same version number.

Alternatively each of the main binaries has a --version switch, so:

Code:
    nick@media:~$ mythbackend --version
    Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
    MythTV Version   : v0.24.2-27-g322de47
    MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
    Network Protocol : 63
    Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
    QT Version       : 4.6.2
    Options compiled in:
     linux profile using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_crystalhd using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

That can be run while the backend is running without interfering with its operation.

Note the git version 322de47 is included in the dpkg output and the --version output.
    Last edited by nickrout; May 8th, 2012 at 06:49 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast