Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compatibility with Asus X101CH Netbook?

Beans

Question Compatibility with Asus X101CH Netbook?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the ASUS X101CH netbook is compatible with Ubuntu 10.04/12.04?

Thank you very much for your help,

SM

Beans

Re: Compatibility with Asus X101CH Netbook?

Im having mild display issues, but everything else seems to work well

Beans

Hi,

What display issues are you experiencing? (Screen Flicker, Brightness...)

Are you able to turn your wireless off?

Thanks.
    SM
    shymega

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just bought an Asus X101CH in Canada thinking that aside from some treatable resolution issues it was well supported.

But the 12.10 wouldn't even boot on it, and others are having this problem too. I believe I got around it by making sure that it was networked (wired is always safest) when it first booted, but I'm not sure. For a wihle my symptoms were like others': blank screen, flashing cursor, no ability to drop to terminal.
    Last edited by cpbl; October 23rd, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: premature post
    latest release of Ubuntu on Lenovo X230T, Lenovo T410s, HP Mini, and Zareason Lightlap in Montréal, Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've managed to go through the install of 12.10 on the X101CH, but after it rebooted, it won't bring up the OS.
    I would stay far away from this hardware. Do not buy hardware that others' haven't found to be easy to install your OS on, unless you've very talented.
    latest release of Ubuntu on Lenovo X230T, Lenovo T410s, HP Mini, and Zareason Lightlap in Montréal, Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Besides, there are other problems with this netbook, still as of 2012 November. My advice is to avoid it completely:

http://cpbl.wordpress.com/2012/10/30...iew-very-poor/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cpbl View Post
    I've managed to go through the install of 12.10 on the X101CH, but after it rebooted, it won't bring up the OS.
    I would stay far away from this hardware. Do not buy hardware that others' haven't found to be easy to install your OS on, unless you've very talented.
    Did you attempt to use the boot-repair tool?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

About Ubuntu 12.10 - if I understood correctly, it doesn't come with Unity 2D, and the integrated chip in this netbook doesn't support 3D. Mine x1010ch came with Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled and so far it works.

I read that blog you linked, and I must disagree. First, an intro: For a year I battled with a hp pavilion g7, it was the lousiest piece of hardware I ever saw. Switchable graphics didn't work, even on Windows, even though hp claimed it was working as intended and refused to issue a BIOS upgrade to fix it. I had hp laptops before (they were good), and this one was just a piece of junk. So I sold it and bought me a new mattress

So I found myself without computer and my classes were starting, I needed any kind of computer. I went to the website of a local store, selected "all portable computers", sorted them by price and clicked on the cheapest. It was Asus x101ch.

I had no expectations, I just hoped it won't be SUCH a piece of crap. It came with Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled (which I reinstalled because I disliked the partitioning scheme).

Keyboard - I use it for my classes, surfing, mailing etc and type without any problems. Fn keys work, and I rarely miss a letter. My hard disk makes no sounds, the entire netbook makes no sounds. Sometimes I keep it turned on for 8 hrs straight, it doesn't overheat. Proprietary drivers work, I have 1024x600 resolution which works well for this small screen. Ubuntu runs good on it, bar Software Centre (for obvious reasons). Haven't had the power connector issues described in the blog even though my cat nibbles on it sometimes and even tries to pull it out (no success so far). I usually hate laptop trackpads and use a mouse exclusively but on this netbook I found the trackpad usable.

All in all, for that money, I expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised. It's a decent netbook and does well for what it was intended - surfing, some office-ing, using it for college classes. I recommended it to my friend for the same purpose, she might even keep Ubuntu on it. On the other hand, I advise everyone to stay away from hp

Beans

sunfromhere, have you had any success with support from Asus? I just bought an x101ch with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. The initial start-up got interrupted and now it says "operating system not found." I can't get any help from Asus - they keep telling me they have restore DVD's for Windows only. I've asked them for help downloading an image I can boot from...no luck.

Do you have any idea where I can get a backup image for Asus' install of 12.04 for the x101ch? Any help appreciated.

Beans

Ha. I've got a friend who should work for Asus. He helped me with the recovery: boot from a live USB & reinstall grub. Now the built-in Ubuntu recovery kicked in and installed the system. Working now!

Question remains: anyone at Asus know anything about Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast