Thread: M3N78-EM Maiboard with GeForce 8300 Chipset

Beans

Question M3N78-EM Maiboard with GeForce 8300 Chipset

Hey guys!

My first post here, so I want to say a friendly "Hi @ all!" to y'all.

I have a problem.
    My USB-Bus seems to hang itself up from time to time.. especially when I plug in a new device.. the device is recognized and -zapp- all my USB-stuff (like mouse and keyboard) stops working.
    I've been able to solve it one time, but after flashing my bios to a newer version because of a cpu-change the problem's there again. I really can't remember what I did back then..
    I already tried "Plug and Play OS" in the BIOS-settings and stuff like "acpi=force irqpoll" but none of those things work..
    After googling a little I found out that this seems to be a common problem with the chipset but I can't find out how to solve this.. and using my favorite OS isn't as fun when the USB devices refuse to work at a random time.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: M3N78-EM Maiboard with GeForce 8300 Chipset

Asus M3N78-EM and family has a known issue with Ubuntu and freezing (mainly when attaching a USB device).

the symptom is that if you run: cat /proc/interrupts
    you will some usb device raise 1000 interrupts/sec. maybe more. this will eventually run your system crazy.
    someone else thinks he solved it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...N78+usb+freeze
    but I doubt if that's a real solution.

I am thinking to order an internal USB card (with a Samsung chip set) ... will report if that helped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: M3N78-EM Maiboard with GeForce 8300 Chipset

I managed to bypass the issue here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...506&p=12612114