Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elephants Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Elephants Dream

This is a film project only made with opensource software.

I searched the forum for it and I only found a couple of entries, which were on different subjects or in different forums.

It's a free download via torrent, and as I liked the initiative, and it's Dutch and we are part of an open source community, I thought it would be fun to post.

On the movie itself, it's short but entertaining, the graphics are stunning in a Blizzard 'so completely not realistic that it's more realistic' kind of way. The story however constantly has the feel of something profound to tell, but if the authors wanted to tell something in depth, this film is sadly lacking.
    Still, a nice (and free ) pass-time of 10 minutes.
    "All of your base are belong to us!"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Elephants Dream

but:
    AVI, MPEG4

what, all OS but not OGG THEORA?
    downloading now

Beans

As a user of Blender since, well since it was able to fit on a floppy, I'd had been really loooking forward to this. The graphics are great, even if some of the animation of the characters was unnatural. The script was terrible, by the end I was so confused by what had happened that it totally detracted from why I watched the film in the first place, that was to see what really talented people could do with Blender.
    Still it's a good advertisment for a application that managed to break free from it's commerical shackles thanks to a generous community.

Beans

I wasn't really paying attention to the storyline that much. I mean, the aim of Project Orange and Elephants Dream was to make a concrete proof of how Blender and other Open Source software can be used in such a type of production.

Of course a storyline is a vital part of a film, no one can deny that. But for a first time attempt by people who have little background in filmmaking, it's quite good.

I discovered and planned to use Blender last year, but because of Blender, I discovered Linux. Now I got distracted from Blender and getting more into Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beautiful but incomprehensible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    I discovered and planned to use Blender last year, but because of Blender, I discovered Linux. Now I got distracted from Blender and getting more into Linux.
    I never quite got around to getting into either. Then I installed Ubuntu... no prizes for guessing what else is on the list of things to install!

Elephant's Dream is superb - it goes to show just how good open source software is, as well as the technical and artistic talent associated with it. Move over Pixar!!
    "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."
    - The Doctor, The Wheel in Space

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I thought I had all the restricted codecs installed but, for some reason, Kaffeine refuses to play the .avi file I downloaded from the Elephant's Dream website. Which codec is needed for this movie?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niviche
    I thought I had all the restricted codecs installed but, for some reason, Kaffeine refuses to play the .avi file I downloaded from the Elephant's Dream website. Which codec is needed for this movie?
    I have the same problem. I have followed the restricted formats page in the wiki. Some packages that page mentions such as mplayer can't be found even though I have enabled universe and multiverse. With the packages apt can find and the w32codecs both totem-gstreamer, xine and vlc refuses to play the file.

Well, at least one thing is obvious. The authors of that movie are definately closed source and closed format fanboys.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    I have the same problem. I have followed the restricted formats page in the wiki. Some packages that page mentions such as mplayer can't be found even though I have enabled universe and multiverse. With the packages apt can find and the w32codecs both totem-gstreamer, xine and vlc refuses to play the file.
    Really? I was able to install mplayer with no troubles at all. However, I used VLC to play it, and it went very well.

Well, at least one thing is obvious. The authors of that movie are definately closed source and closed format fanboys.
    And you were able to conclude this becuase of the video format? granted they could have chosen a more open format, but that doesn't make them closed source/format fanboys. Everything they have used in the production (except for one part that I fogot, something to do with sounds, I think) are purely open source. That is the fundamental aim/goal of that project.

EDIT: for your reference: http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/s...er&release=all
    Last edited by Jucato; June 15th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    Really? I was able to install mplayer with no troubles at all. However, I used VLC to play it, and it went very well.
    When I viewed the movie, I used VLC (which the official site suggests as one of the applications you should use) under Windows and it worked fine. None of my other media players would touch it, though.
    "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."
    - The Doctor, The Wheel in Space

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast