Thread: Stuck or dead pixel

Beans

Stuck or dead pixel

Hello everyone. Just seen today after I applied a orange wallpaper on my ubuntu a stuck or dead pixel. Why am I saying dead or stuck? Because I'm not sure what it is, it appears on different colors (ex: on black, white - nothing) if I choose a orange or purple background I can see it.

Is there application to fix it or something like that?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by DaveDeviant; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Stuck or dead pixel

Are you saying you don't always see it? I'm not totally sure how LCDs work, but I believe each "pixel" has a red, green and blue component. I might be that one of those components has failed, and only displaying certain colors on the screen will show the flaw.
    HP ProBook 4530s - 4GB RAM - 12.04 AMD64

Beans

Try poking the screen at that place with a rubber pencil eraser.

I know, strange fix, but I think I remember reading somewhere years back that that sometimes works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You could try to heal it with LCD Nurse. Give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

A "stuck" pixel you may not notice on a white screen, but you would notice it on a black screen. I had a few stuck pixels on an old laptop from 2000. That was noticeable in the black area of top or bottom bars when playing wide screen video on its 4:3 screen.

A "dead" pixel would not show up on a black screen and may be difficult to notice on a white screen with all the other pixels lit up.

But first make sure that your screen is clean. Splatters of soda pop, etc. can act like little magnifying glasses that can distort things just enough to look like stuck or dead pixels, or specks of lint or other dirt may look like dead pixels.
    Last edited by efflandt; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers