Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    Experiences aside, and usable or unusable, most of the mainlines freezes are over, so what you can currently download as an iso from the daily live current will most certainly be about identical to the stable LTS iso at this point.
    Ye gods, I hope not. I'm still getting crashes every day.

(Total count at close of play today: two X crashes and one kernel panic.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfirebird View Post
    Ye gods, I hope not. I'm still getting crashes every day.

(Total count at close of play today: two X crashes and one kernel panic.)
    Unfortunately, what Mathor just said could apply to you:

..... if you can't get Precise running now, you probably won't be able to get it running when the LTS comes out either.
    Have you tried a secondary install to see how that acts on your machine?
    Are you doing something that's demanding more resources than you have?
    Does your machine have some uniquely special hardware(s).
    How's your memory?
    How's your hard drive(s)?
    Blah, blah, blah.

Rather than wait to see if things clear up, perhaps it's wise to consider doing a deeper investigation into why what's happening is happening.
    Last edited by Trapper; April 12th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, but to reiterate, I intended to make a statement to those who know to be patient with those who don't know, in any of the many posts, threads and opinions here.

I have been doing this since 2006 and am now finding some fundamental issues, some bizarre and near stupid bugs/features, and have a learning curve to remember new things like which button-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-screen minimizes the window...

A sincere thank you to those that have helped so far!
    MRK
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio
    Ubuntu 14.02 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Have you tried a secondary install to see how that acts on your machine?
    Are you doing something that's demanding more resources than you have?
    Does your machine have some uniquely special hardware(s).
    How's your memory?
    How's your hard drive(s)?
    In order:

Ran fine on 10.04, but I'm certainly considering dropping back to 11.04. I don't want to do that, though. Switching this machine to dual-boot would be a PITA because of data on existing partitions -- a lot of data.

No.

Not unless you count an NVidia GC.

4Gb.

Again, the hard drive worked with no problems in 10.04.

Beans

Switching this machine to dual-boot would be a PITA because of data on existing partitions -- a lot of data.
    Yeah, I've been there before too. I have had circumstances where I was able to do some resizing and moving around to create an extra partition using gparted on SystemRescueCD. Other times it just wasn't feasible to do so. Too bad you can't do something here. At least if the install behaved the same as the current one it would eliminate a sour original install from the list of possible problems.
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    Yes, but to reiterate, I intended to make a statement to those who know to be patient with those who don't know, in any of the many posts, threads and opinions here.

I have been doing this since 2006 and am now finding some fundamental issues, some bizarre and near stupid bugs/features, and have a learning curve to remember new things like which button-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-screen minimizes the window...

A sincere thank you to those that have helped so far!
    MRK
    It would be really good to know if you're still just testing the live session, or if you've now upgraded to Precise, or if you've installed Precise to a separate partition.

I had a well accepted procedure posted for a Oneiric classic DE using Metacity by selecting Classic (no effects):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

I'm working on the same thing for Precise but a lot of stuff is still "cookin' in the oven":

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=389

Some patience on your part is also required, 10.04 (Lucid) is still supported for another year so give us time to finish cooking the how-to's and why-for's

Beans

In order:

Ran fine on 10.04, but I'm certainly considering dropping back to 11.04. I don't want to do that, though. Switching this machine to dual-boot would be a PITA because of data on existing partitions -- a lot of data.

No.

4Gb.

Again, the hard drive worked with no problems in 10.04.
    One thing stands out here:

Switching this machine to dual-boot would be a PITA because of data on existing partitions -- a lot of data.

Believe me the data you don't have backed up to an external source is the data you'll lose!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Believe me the data you don't have backed up to an external source is the data you'll lose!
    You are of course quite right

I've backed up as much as I can, but I'm out of spare hard disks at the moment, and no money I can sensibly allocate to buy more... More importantly I don't really have the time to sort out the useful data from the crap right now.

In any case this is tangental to the subject. The data is on seperate partitions and can be safely left alone by any OS install. (Disregarding that nasty Precise install bug where you have to tell it to format /home )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I had my first hard lockup *ever* (flashing capslock + scrollock) this Tuesday which I think is probably related to nvidia-current 295.33 on 3.2.0-22-generic. I was able to reproduce doing something else shortly after.

One thing that was strange that hadn't happened before was I went to switch to another VT (tty1) and it never came up -- just DPMS'd both monitors off.

Haven't been able to reproduce it on nouveau at all.

I'm still working at capturing this panic. crashkernel+kdump didn't work. usb debugging sucks. and serial tty is soooooo sloowwwwww. need to get that firewire console up and running....

Beans

There have been installer bugs in the past that destroy filesystems on disks that aren't even being used for install. In non-beta versions no less.

You are of course quite right
    In any case this is tangental to the subject. The data is on seperate partitions and can be safely left alone by any OS install. (Disregarding that nasty Precise install bug where you have to tell it to format /home )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast