Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Beans

Re: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    This is a very good response. I do want to add one thing though.

As a user of the LTS I am sure you know that there are "step" releases. You are currently using 10.04.4 (last step release).

I would not upgrade (technically a version upgrade) until the first step release at least. This gives the thing a chance to be actually out there on a lot of hardware, more bugs discovered and fixed.

12.04.1 is due July 19th. 12.04.2 is due 1-31-13. These are basically just new install disks that are up to date on packages.

Anytime you upgrade you will be up to date on packages anyway but I think that just about any time between those 2 releases is a good time to upgrade a LTS.

I may not use Ubuntu but my wife uses 10.04 and sometime in there I will be upgrading her box.
    +1! A lot of things will be fixed by the time 12.04.1 hits, and there will also be tons of cool how-to's regarding customization

It's really hard to do a decent how-to while things are still in development because things can change from day to day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    This is a very good response. I do want to add one thing though.

As a user of the LTS I am sure you know that there are "step" releases. You are currently using 10.04.4 (last step release).

I would not upgrade (technically a version upgrade) until the first step release at least. This gives the thing a chance to be actually out there on a lot of hardware, more bugs discovered and fixed.

12.04.1 is due July 19th. 12.04.2 is due 1-31-13. These are basically just new install disks that are up to date on packages.

Anytime you upgrade you will be up to date on packages anyway but I think that just about any time between those 2 releases is a good time to upgrade a LTS.

I may not use Ubuntu but my wife uses 10.04 and sometime in there I will be upgrading her box.
    This is one of the best advice I've run across regarding LTS to LTS upgrade.

I forgot that there are "step release". I will keep this in mind when trying to help others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    This is one of the best advice I've run across regarding LTS to LTS upgrade.

I forgot that there are "step release". I will keep this in mind when trying to help others.
    The step releases just update the ISO image to current for that date.

That first step release is important in that the new release has not been tested on enough diverse hardware.

The many bugs that are evident at release time should be well in hand by that first step.

By the second step the thing should be rock solid.

They are just handy dates to keep in mind and the assumptions could, of coarse, be wrong. I think they are prety safe.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    I personally have 12.04 installed on a separate 160Gig HD and although nice, it is for the most part is unusable.
    Although I appreciate 12.04 is still in development, I have not had the experience of "unusable".

Have you filed a bug report on LP addressing your issues ?

IMO you should not be running a development release, much less label it as "unusable", unless you are willing to file bug reports.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Greetings,
    This is a testing section. If you are not a tester, please don't replace your current operating system with 12.04 until the final release has been available for at least one month.
    Well, I for one appreciate your candour and tend to agree.

But, you should in that case brace yourself for a lot of questions here from non-testers, regardless. If you go to the Ubuntu homepage, the first thing you see is "Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is in final beta now. Download it today!"

This would appear to be at odds with your perfectly reasonable position.

(UPDATE: Since TCLStat has deleted their post, I'll just explain: they implied that at the moment (2012/4/13) 12.04 seems to be not ready for serious, stable use. I agree.)
    Last edited by shadowfirebird; April 13th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Your intolerance for other peoples experience goes back to the OP's concerns.
    You were the one who posted lecturing people about running a beta release, I just wanted to add you your advice and suggest you really need to be filing bug reports.

I am not intolerant of your experience, I am intolerant of your use of "unusable" if you are unwilling to file a bug report, huge difference.

If you run a beta, and run into problems, please do not complain about it on the forums.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Original by bodhi.zazen

Well now that's why there are multiple post on the forum. It is because everyone's experience isn't the same. It depends on what they are trying to get working. My experience is "unusable". I'm not trying to post "your experience". Your intolerance for other peoples experience goes back to the OP's concerns.

tlcstat
    Experiences aside, and usable or unusable, most of the mainlines freezes are over, so what you can currently download as an iso from the daily live current will most certainly be about identical to the stable LTS iso at this point. That being said, 12.04 might produce some instability, but that would be the same amount of instability that would come with every new release until 12.04.1 and 12.04.2 are released.

Questions!, Questions! I'm bracing myself for all the the corrupt installations and lost data complaints because they didn't back-up.
    tlcstat
    You are correct, but unfortunately if you can't get Precise running now, you probably won't be able to get it running when the LTS comes out either.
    Last edited by Mathor; April 12th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast