Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Those on the "upgrade train" are going to meet a lot of us who now HAVE to update (or is that upgrade?), and just want to transition smoothly. I am sure MANY discussions formerly talked to death will be reopened for commentary, workarounds and solutions.

The 10.4 to 12.4 is introducing things like Unity, and other things which we may get used to in time. However there are some things that are not obvious, or are not there anymore and need workarounds, or are just forgotten and/or broken.

We may not have even been on these forums in two years! Some of us did not have an interest or need to know about the releases in between. Many of us did not read the articles, blogs and comments made then about the complaints and praises of those releases.

I expect to be doing this for a few weeks as I slowly wean myself away from 10.04, while others are jumping in head first and overwriting their 10.04...

Forgive us if we ask what may be obvious, or question something buried years ago. I am finding a few work-stoppers, much to learn, and yes, a few cool new features on my second day here. I (and others) will need answers, suggestions and support at times.

Thank you,
    MRK
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: To those who do NOT use only LTS versions. Please be tolerant with us...

Ignore the jerks you encounter. You know that most here aren't.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Patience and tolerance work both ways

Just be patient and ignore the answers you don't like.

Also remember that 10.04 is supported for another entire year so you can expect many bugs to be worked out of 12.04 in the next few months.

And it may take a few weeks after final release for some of the "how-tos" to be written and perfected.

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    Greetings,
    If you like to use a LTS then I would't use 12.04 since it is still in beta and has a lot of breakage. When it goes final LTS it won't be found in this section. Just search for whatever problems you may have under the regular forum headings.
    Good luck!
    tlcstat
    Lately I've found 12.04 pretty solid (once you get by install!). There was a massive update to 3.2.0-22 now seems to be settling down.

Recommended - carve out a test partition (10 GB in my case) and give it a whirl. I prefer unity-2D sharp fast display vs. -3D foggy fuzzy hard to read semi-transparent pseudo touch screen compiz overhead, but that's your choice.

Enjoy.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not have any problem with answering the same question again and again because by then I know the answer. I do take issue with those who are looking to moan and complain.

We have had more than moans. We have also had a form of abuse when 11.04 came out and then when 11.10 came out and we will get it again when 12.04 is released.

Tell us what you want to know but do not tell me what you like or don't like about this and that. I do not want to know. We have the Community Cafe for that. I can choose to go in the cafe or not. Remember, your post gives me a right to reply and that is that start of an argument.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 10th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    Those on the "upgrade train" are going to meet a lot of us who now HAVE to update (or is that upgrade?), and just want to transition smoothly. I am sure MANY discussions formerly talked to death will be reopened for commentary, workarounds and solutions.

The 10.4 to 12.4 is introducing things like Unity, and other things which we may get used to in time. However there are some things that are not obvious, or are not there anymore and need workarounds, or are just forgotten and/or broken.

We may not have even been on these forums in two years! Some of us did not have an interest or need to know about the releases in between. Many of us did not read the articles, blogs and comments made then about the complaints and praises of those releases.

I expect to be doing this for a few weeks as I slowly wean myself away from 10.04, while others are jumping in head first and overwriting their 10.04...

Forgive us if we ask what may be obvious, or question something buried years ago. I am finding a few work-stoppers, much to learn, and yes, a few cool new features on my second day here. I (and others) will need answers, suggestions and support at times.

Thank you,
    MRK
    Your issues are not unique to LTS -> LTS upgrades, we support all upgrades as much as possible.

My advice is that you start with backups.

You can then attempt an upgrade, most of the time I anticipate it will go well. If stability is important, wait 4-6 weeks until after 12.04 is released.

If you have a problem ask for help.

In the unlikely event you have catastrophic system failure (it happens), be prepared for a fresh install and restore your data from backup.

Personally I keep a /data partition , makes upgrades and fresh installs rather trivial.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

One thing I have learned is that this site has a wonderful search tool. You can find a valid topic on just about any issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Your issues are not unique to LTS -> LTS upgrades, we support all upgrades as much as possible.

My advice is that you start with backups.

You can then attempt an upgrade, most of the time I anticipate it will go well. If stability is important, wait 4-6 weeks until after 12.04 is released.

If you have a problem ask for help.

In the unlikely event you have catastrophic system failure (it happens), be prepared for a fresh install and restore your data from backup.

Personally I keep a /data partition , makes upgrades and fresh installs rather trivial.
    This is a very good response. I do want to add one thing though.

As a user of the LTS I am sure you know that there are "step" releases. You are currently using 10.04.4 (last step release).

I would not upgrade (technically a version upgrade) until the first step release at least. This gives the thing a chance to be actually out there on a lot of hardware, more bugs discovered and fixed.

12.04.1 is due July 19th. 12.04.2 is due 1-31-13. These are basically just new install disks that are up to date on packages.

Anytime you upgrade you will be up to date on packages anyway but I think that just about any time between those 2 releases is a good time to upgrade a LTS.

I may not use Ubuntu but my wife uses 10.04 and sometime in there I will be upgrading her box.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast