Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Quote Originally Posted by morphx View Post
    I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop as my primary OS (dual booting with XP) and I've just felt in love with it... still... there're many things I miss from XP and being able to easily configure my screensavers is one them.

So, after reading this, and other similar posts, I decided to try to do a full replacement for gnome-screensaver-preferences
    After a couple of days I've managed to come up with an application that will let you (a) see the list of all your screensavers, (b) preview them in a small window and (c) change their settings.
    The application does not yet support changing parameters specific to the daemon (such as when to start the screensaver, whether to lock the screen or not, etc...) but so far it can be simply used to setup your screensavers so they run the way "we" want them.

If anyone is interested, it can be downloaded form this address:
    http://software.xfx.net/ftp/xfx-scre...ngs_0.1.tar.gz

Comments... suggestions... ideas... they are all welcomed!
    Hi, sorry for missing your post; I've neglected this thread for a while. Thanks for your contribution. I've tried your app in Edgy, but it fails to change the settings, perhaps since the change of the gnome-screensaver theme directory has changed to /usr/share/applications/screensavers . It will be nice if you can make a version for Edgy with the appropriate change, as well as providing the source code.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

I don't seem to have gnome-screensaver installed should i just install xscreensaver or should i follow the whole guide from the point where you install xscreensaver?

EDIT: maybe i should just tell what i want to do...i want to prevent my screen from going blank after a period of times (it's really annoying when i'm watching movies) so i went to the gnome power manager and put all the options to either "never" or "do nothing". But this didn't seem to do the trick. So i searched the forums and the solution was going to System->Preferences->Screensaver . The only problem is....i don't have that option. I tried installing xscreensaver but that option still doesn't appear. I tried editing the menus but it's not there...

Update: Just installed gnome-screensaver and disabled it
    Last edited by raul_; January 1st, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    5. Add the xscreensaver daemon to your list of startup programs. Go to System / Preferences / Sessions / Startup Programs, click "Add" and type "xscreensaver -no-splash".

I can not seem to get this to actually save. Are there any tricks to getting it to save the session?

Thanks
    --Shoki
    type this in the console:
    sudo chown -R <your username> ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I did this a little differently.. instead of disabling the gnome-screensaver startup in gconf-editor and placing xscreensaver -no-splash in my sessions (I want xscreensaver for all users, not just me), I moved /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver to /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver.old and created a new file /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver with the following in it:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xscreensaver -no-splash
    this way gnome calls my script for every user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

All,

I actually want to bring back my gnome screensaver. Do you have way to back out of this workaround?

Thanks,

blu.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

blumagic , i am not sure but do the reverse of what was done in the tutorial.
    Remove xscreensaver.
    Re-add gnome screensaver to the list it was edited out of , well as uncomment the gnome screensaver references , also remove xscreensaver from the startup list.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

I tried/used this process - and it did work -- however now my Desktop pc will not suspend automatically.
    If I put the system to sleep it works great and comes "awake" perfectly. Prior to making these changes the system would suspend within 45 minutes as I had setup in the Power preference. So my question, How do I undo -- what I have done? Or do you have some idea how to resolve?
    Thanks in advance

ldh
    Last edited by ldh; November 1st, 2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: put in name

Beans

Thanks folks but no reply necessary --- I simply reversed the original steps..went into Synaptic and removed xscreensaver and all is back to normal now with the manner in which this computer enters standby.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think you should put how to add xscreensaver to startup into your (awesome) tutorial. Here's how i did it:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/xscreensaver
    Add this to the file (it should be empty to begin with) and save:
    #!/bin/bash

xscreensaver -no-splash &
    Now run these three commands
    cd /etc/init.d/
    sudo update-rc.d xscreensaver defaults
    sudo chmod +x xscreensaver
    Now you should be set. If this doesn't work, try taking a look at the comments on http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/...run-at-bootup/

Naurus

Beans

similar issue...
    i tried to revert back to gnome-screensaver undoing as given above here..after deinstalling xscreensaver... however, the gnome lock does not work (gnome-screensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0) any more, although the screen goes blank as usual after some time... am i missing something silly? any help appreciated..

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast