Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

This is probably a stupid questions but the gnome screensaver FAQ says:

Why gnome-screensaver, what happened to xscreensaver?

gnome-screensaver is a new screensaver that can replace xscreensaver. It is designed to integrate well with the desktop and provide a control interface that is desktop neutral. It simplifies and streamlines the experience for the user and provides more capability for the system administrator and vendor.
    It is designed to support:
    • a desktop neutral control interface via DBus
    • a desktop neutral and standard way to install and manage screensaver themes
    • switching users directly from the unlock dialog
    • allowing a system administrator to set a mandatory policy for any setting
    • a secure separation of user input processing and authentication from the screen locking window
    • a separation between the screensaver theme engine and the theme settings
    • integration with the desktop (themes, fonts, toolkit)
    • translation into many languages by the GNOME Translation Project
    • instantly applying settings changes
    Does "allowing a system administrator to set a mandatory policy for any setting" mean that the Ubuntu devs could have just turned off the extra features and they can be turned back on, or is it really impossible to get all the features of xscreensaver in gnome-screensaver.
    Computers are like air-conditioners... neither work as well with Windows open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

if you mean editing the screensavers i guess it possible by editing the right .desktop file in /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/
    but for me the most missing feature in gnome-screensaver is the fade in/out.

Beans

Does "allowing a system administrator to set a mandatory policy for any setting" mean that the Ubuntu devs could have just turned off the extra features and they can be turned back on, or is it really impossible to get all the features of xscreensaver in gnome-screensaver.
    No, it doesn't mean that; it means the system administrator can set a global screensaver policy that affects all users.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Update: I posted another guide for adjusting screensaver settings in Dapper without replacing gnome-screensaver altogether. I prefer the method described in that guide to this one, but your mileage may vary. Both have their pros and cons so make sure you check out both before applying the instructions.

Check it out here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198809

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I used synaptic to remove gnome screen saver and install xscreensaver. It gave the creepy warning that desktop would be uninstalled, and in the past I have avoided doing that but this time I threw caution to the wind and went with it.

End result, gnome screensaver is gone, xscreensaver is running, LCD monitor powers down properly, and I still have my desktop
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Stephens
    I used synaptic to remove gnome screen saver and install xscreensaver. It gave the creepy warning that desktop would be uninstalled, and in the past I have avoided doing that but this time I threw caution to the wind and went with it.

End result, gnome screensaver is gone, xscreensaver is running, LCD monitor powers down properly, and I still have my desktop
    ubuntu-desktop package seems to be safely removable, but could cause pb with upgrades, if new packages are added to the ubuntu-desktop you're will not be able to have them installed with a dist-upgrade.
    cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

cool tutorial, man!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli
    if you mean editing the screensavers i guess it possible by editing the right .desktop file in /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/
    Geezz...I went to the files...How does one edit files like that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stanz
    Geezz...I went to the files...How does one edit files like that?
    in each desktop file you'll find a exec line, for example /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/antspotlight.desktop got a line:
    Code:
    Exec=antspotlight -root
    where you can give more options to tweak this screensaver if needed, there's a manpage wich tells:
    Code:
    antspotlight   [-display  host:display.screen]  [-window]  [-root]  [-install]  [-visual visual] [-delay microseconds] [-fps]
    I guess most of screensavers got their manpage.
    so, it's not a very intuitive method, that's one of the reasons why I prefer xscreensaver (the other is the fade potion ).
    edit: 23meg as made a guide for that.
    regards.
    Last edited by ayoli; June 26th, 2006 at 08:46 AM.

Beans

In a new guide I described a more convenient way to figure out screensaver options through xscreensaver; check this out:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198809

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast