Thread: Superfast apt-get updates?

Beans

Superfast apt-get updates?

I've complained previously about the size of apt-get updates (~6 MB) and the time it took (~ 3 min). A few others had the same experience.

Today, I ran apt-get update twice a few hours apart. Both times the size was less than 1 MB just like how it was before Precise came along.

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about the data downloaded during apt-get update and not apt-get upgrade.)

Anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Superfast apt-get updates?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I've complained previously about the size of apt-get updates (~6 MB) and the time it took (~ 3 min). A few others had the same experience.

Today, I ran apt-get update twice a few hours apart. Both times the size was less than 1 MB just like how it was before Precise came along.

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about the data downloaded during apt-get update and not apt-get upgrade.)

Anyone else?
    ok this is normal for me it takes even more time
    be a open source developer , php , c++ more information from ubuntu one ; do not give full screen applications full control
    http://linkbun.ch/1sdv

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In all the times i have used Ubuntu (or its variants), it never took more than 2mins (absolute tops) to update the cache. I wouldnt considered to have many repos, but its somewhere around 30ish sources.

I don't have a fast connection either. Also i clear that cache often..
    Last edited by Jakin; August 7th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post

Anyone else?
    It downloads the headers first. If there was no change in the repository's list in comparison to the list apt already has, then it does not download the new list. When you do apt-get update frequently, there is a good chance many lists will not need to be downloaded.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

15 seconds to update the cache.

I guess this will vary considerably due to ISP and ubuntu's servers.

Beans

The interesting thing for me is that until yesterday, ever since I moved to 12.04, data was > 6 MB. Today, it's been less than 1 MB.

Beans

See this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1001780

Comment #17: "The internal mirror script has been fixed to not clobber the timestamps for old files, so this should no longer be a big problem."

And the next entry:

affects: apt (Ubuntu) → ubuntu
    Changed in ubuntu: