Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity poster (feedback please)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity poster (feedback please)

In a company I worked the splat key was shift-8.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    In a company I worked the splat key was shift-8.
    I'm not going to say what we used to call shift-6 many years ago (think teletypes)

Next version on Sunday am...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I like that you added "system settings" to the top right, I was going to suggest that...

If there was somewhere to add "how to add/keep in launcher" that would be useful, yes even though it is pretty simple to do.

Over all I think it 's good.
    What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?
    And what can save the world except your Self?
    Belief is powerful indeed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.

+1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by acimi66 View Post
    If there was somewhere to add "how to add/keep in launcher" that would be useful, yes even though it is pretty simple to do
    @acimi66: I'm thinking of version 3 being more like a comic strip, with an overview and then some step by step instructions. This is based on feedback here and by pm about people thinking the Dash was about help specifically because of the example I used.

I'll add Launcher add/remove to the list, perhaps as a reference to the Desktop Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.
    @not found: I like the way their post points people back to the Ubuntu Desktop Guide in the article. Paddy Landau's suggestion of a link to the http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/ would be a good one to push as well.

I'm 410 for the rest of the day. Thanks for feedback which is making this simple thing much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Keith, you are becoming famous!

I have just been helping out with (yet another) poster who has landed in trouble downloading files from a website. Your poster would be good not just for converts from 10.04 but also for people new to Ubuntu.

Therefore, I wonder if it would be worth adding a small line somewhere about installing programs? Something to the effect of: "Installing programs is easy! Just head off to the Ubuntu Software Centre. No more downloading from websites!"
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post

What is worrying though is, from reading these forums, I'm getting an impression that Unity is designed to discourage customisation and fine-grained configuration for the sake of uniformity and being idiot-proof. Lack of configurability might be fine (indeed advisable) for a tablet/smartphone interface, but surely not on desktops!
    +1

That has indeed been my own experience.
    Sadly, Unity config seems set in cement, at least at the moment.
    I do like choice and variety in desktops, the *boxen, KDE3, Gnome2, XFCE, LXDE, the neat Netbook Remix with Mutter/Clutter, even quite like Android (but only on a 'phone).
    My favourites include Fluxbox & E17 - I have enjoyed creating some elaborate confections with Fluxbox, and lately have been learning more of E17 via Bodhi Linux.
    Unity does 'feel' a bit like Android 2.1 did when I first met it. Probably works OK on a 'phone - except for the obscene bloat.
    <sigh>
    So the poster is most welcome, It looks most helpful and I will be giving it a go on a live CD.
    Thank you!
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    ... I'm getting an impression that Unity is designed to discourage customisation and fine-grained configuration for the sake of uniformity and being idiot-proof. Lack of configurability might be fine (indeed advisable) for a tablet/smartphone interface, but surely not on desktops!
    Depends. Ubuntu is not for the technical expert, but for the "average" user (like me). Just as Windows and Mac limit your customisation to present a more reliable interface (well, supposedly so in Windows until version 7), so Ubuntu would do well to do the same for its intended user-base.

If you want plenty of customisation, I am thinking that Ubuntu is probably not the distro for you, but rather Arch or some other. On the other hand, if you want reliability and long-term support with the option of paid support, and you are more interested in using the computer than customising it, Ubuntu would be your choice (or Red Hat if you if you don't mind paying).
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello All

Version 3 of the poster is complete, I'm just getting the local proofreader to go over the text.

Could we keep this thread on topic? Its about a poster designed to help people who use Ubuntu 10.04 and possibly others to migrate to 12.04 Ubuntu LTS with its default Unity interface.

If someone wants to do a Web page/poster/leaflet on how to install the Gnome Classic session that would be ace

Cheers

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast