Thread: XFCE Session Missing pixels

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

XFCE Session Missing pixels

My screen has a strange problem. The words & other objects appearing on the screen are missing pixels. For instance the Title of this post: XFCE Session Missing pixels, has pixels missing from the XFC (but not the E), the ssio of Session and the M ss fo Missing and the els of pixels. Not all the pixels are missing. The words are easily readable, but something is wrong.

When I first saw this, I rebooted (warm boot) thinking that could fix this. Not working that way.

I also have Windows 7 on this hard drive. Nothing is amiss there. Well, it's Windows what could go wrong?
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; April 9th, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added info
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: XFCE Session Missing pixels

If this is only on text, I suspect it is related to the system font rendering or lack of antialiasing. Have a good search for how you can change that in xubuntu, as I am not using it at the moment, but am on lubuntu with lxde, and I can't remember how it's done in xfce.

Font rendering is fine on this system with lubuntu, though I have not changed any of the font configuration on this machine, so far as I can remember. However, if I do turn of antialiasing in the font configuration, text looks dreadful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Mark_in_Hollywood,

You would be able to enable anti-aliasing on XFCE Session as below.

1. Open "Settings Manager".
    ( Menu > Settings > Settings Manager )

2. Click on 'Appearance' icon, and then click on 'Fonts' tab.

3. You will find 'Rendering' option there.

4. Tick ON against the item "Enable anti-aliasing".

5. As for 'Hinting' and 'Sub-pixel order' option, I myself also be not sure, sorry. At least for LCD screen of my notebook PC, it seems to be good to choose Slight as Hinting and to choose RGB as Sub-pixel order.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have dropped XFCE and am in a Gnome (no effects) session. I use Chrome as a browser.

I've wanted to attach a screenshot of part of this problem I'm having. I doubt it has to do with anti-aliasing, but I'll log into XFCE and look at the config settings.

Bizarrely I took a screenshot of this post, while the artifact was visible. I went to edit the screenshot and the artifact was gone. The artifact was a box about 2 inches square covering the upper right hand side of this page. Where I see: Thread: [ubuntu] XFCE Session Missing pixels - That is where the object is or was, I'm way too confused. I think it may have come via Facebook. Is this a Flash or Java problem??
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kazztan0325 View Post
    Hi Mark_in_Hollywood,

You would be able to enable anti-aliasing on XFCE Session as below.

1. Open "Settings Manager".
    ( Menu > Settings > Settings Manager )

2. Click on 'Appearance' icon, and then click on 'Fonts' tab.

3. You will find 'Rendering' option there.

4. Tick ON against the item "Enable anti-aliasing".

5. As for 'Hinting' and 'Sub-pixel order' option, I myself also be not sure, sorry. At least for LCD screen of my notebook PC, it seems to be good to choose Slight as Hinting and to choose RGB as Sub-pixel order.

Hope this helps.
    I find that anti-aliasing is checked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    I find that anti-aliasing is checked.
    Oh, really?

Then I cannot guess why ever does your screen look missing pixels at present, sorry.