Thread: Story of a System76 repeat customer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Story of a System76 repeat customer

Hello,

I hope this email does not break forum rules, after all, I have no help to offer.

The purpose of this message a couple of items:

First I am grateful to System76, as well as the other providers, for specializing in computers that supporting Ubuntu/(GNU)Linux out of the box. There are not many Ubuntu/(GNU)Linux providers for the general consumer (IMHO).

Second, as of this morning, I am now a repeat System76 customer. The first System76 computer I purchased was a Darter1 in April 2007. I purchased the Darter1 machine for my mother who had never used a computer (not even Windows or Mac). Just to make things challenging, I trained my mom to use Ubuntu from a distance of 1,500 miles apart (thank goodness for Remote Desktop!, hehe).

The Darter1 aged over the years quite well. I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB, and replaced the optical drive with a faster one (original was quite slow). It currently runs Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS) very happily. The only problem encountered with the hardware is a sticky 'N' key, and the battery doesn't hold the charge like it used to when it was new, which is to be expected.

Recently, the Darter1 is acting its age. It wants to sleep more hours of the day compared to when it was a young pup. Sure, giving the Darter1 a good nudge (i.e., reboot) will wake it up, but then after a while of no use, it falls asleep again and doesn't want to awaken unless nudged.

Rather than troubleshooting and finding a fix, we figured this machine has served a useful life and it is time to replace it.

I was amazed that my original account from 5 years ago was still in the System76 system. Seeing the Darter1 in my account from 5 years ago was great. Boy, has pricing changed (hehe)!

Thanks System76 for providing a machine (Darter1) that lasted so long. We look forward to the new machine (Pangolin Performance).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Story of a System76 repeat customer

Thanks for posting this. It may help others wanting to know what system to buy next. I have read many posts praising System76.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

do they ship machines to europe? (sureley the wrong thread to ask this..i will somehow look into it myself)

edit: apperantly they do not...i will get a hard time to get my hands on a laptop i guess
    Last edited by Basher101; April 9th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    do they ship machines to europe? (sureley the wrong thread to ask this..i will somehow look into it myself)

edit: apperantly they do not...i will get a hard time to get my hands on a laptop i guess
    Yes, at least to parts of Europe (including Germany): https://www.system76.com/home/shippinginformation/

Beans

Thanks for your post! It's DEFINITELY helped me as I'm looking into System76 for my next laptop. I'm in New Zealand & I sure hope they not only ship here, but that l can get local or near local support.
    Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Until they come up with a laptop that has a track-point, I'm out! I've put that suggestion to System76 too. Anyone who's ever used a ThinkPad with a track-point will know the value of said feature. - No track-point, no sale!

Other than that, I'm all for tailored-for-linux hardware
    Kipling - "if"