Thread: In 12.04-i386, mplayer doesn't work with my 32-bit computers

Beans
    Hidden!

In 12.04-i386, mplayer doesn't work with my 32-bit computers

I'm posting here, because I hope that you at the Multimedia & Video Forum

- should know about this bug
    - know how to fix such problems (many of your posts are very informative and helpful)

In 12.04-i386, mplayer crashes with my 32-bit computers, but it works with my 64-bit computers, so I reported a bug to launchpad: Bug #976465.

I think mplayer is the video-player with the smallest foot-print, and if it fails, there is no good alternative for old and slow computers. So it is important that the bug gets fixed in the short time before 12.04 is released.

Please test if mplayer in Lubuntu daily build precise-desktop-i386.iso works on your computer and add comments about it here and/or at Launchpad! In particular, can you run mplayer with a 32-bit cpu? And, mplayer prints a request to compile it, but I don't know how to do that. If you can compile mplayer, maybe we can get better knowledge about the bug.

Edit: You need not install anything, it is enough to test it live from CD/USB
    Last edited by sudodus; April 9th, 2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: it is enough to test it live from CD/USB

Beans

Re: In 12.04-i386, mplayer doesn't work with my 32-bit computers

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    In 12.04-i386, mplayer crashes with my 32-bit computers, but it works with my 64-bit computers
    Booted from that iso file mplayer does the same for me:
    32-bit cpu: crash
    64-bit cpu: play