Thread: Memory Problem

Beans

Unhappy Memory Problem

Can i have some advice please!?

I purchased 2 x 4GB Memory sticks for my laptop to boost my Ubuntu and also Windows 7 that i want to run in VirtualBox. I checked in system settings in the Bios, Windows 7 and Ubuntu and it shows that i have only got 2GB of memory installed; it says on the label of each memory stick that they are 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400! I did a check by putting the memory in one expansion slot at a time and each stick shows up in Windows 7 and Ubuntu as 1GB!

I've downloaded CPU-Z to double check and it says that they are 1GB PC2-5300 (333mhz)!!! (Screenshot attached). Is CPU-Z, Windows & Ubuntu showing this as correct and have Mr Memory or the manufacturer made a mistake?

Thanks

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Memory Problem

Perhaps they are mislabeled. Where did you buy them? It would be pretty easy for a disreputable buyer to put fake labels on smaller RAM sticks.

You can confirm the real size by looking at the numbers on the actual RAM chips, if you can read them. Figure out the size of each chip, multiply by the number of chips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try 64-bit version of the operating systems...You might have to pay for the Windows one...
    BTC: 1E8os2cx3JLnp9PMZAtn1eT8kBxaRPq9Hp

Beans

Cody, the 64 bit of the operating systems won't help his BIOS see more RAM...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i really cant tell if they are fake or not. Can you get a picture of your BIOS?

also what speed are they? DDR2 as shown in CPU-Z or is it DDR3 on the label?
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

Make sure your BIOS is updated and also check the mobo's specs to see if it can handle 8GB.

Beans

Actually, if you search the model number (nanya nt1gt64u8hb0bn-3c), it is clear that these are 1GB sticks of DDR2-667. Get your money back.
    http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...mid=1438948443

Beans

I also noted down the part number printer on the chips and did a search on Google and the number points to 1GB modules.

I've sent MrMemory.co.uk who i purchased the memory modules from and sent them a detailed report from the CPU-Z program.

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Actually, if you search the model number (nanya nt1gt64u8hb0bn-3c), it is clear that these are 1GB sticks of DDR2-667. Get your money back.
    http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...mid=1438948443