Thread: Help me build a media streaming system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Help me build a media streaming system

So am just about to jump into a project to build a new system. This new system must do the following:

• Stream TV to my 42" LCD
    • Store & Download Torrents
    • Stream from my QuickFlix Account
    • Have an exchange type mail server (Important)
    • Process and store backups from my other Ubuntu machines
    • Any other cool stuff I cannot think of just yet.

I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. So no i7 6 core's, was looking at AMD processors and motherboards to keep cost down.

All hardware must be Ubuntu 12.04 x64 compatible.

What suggestions do you have?

Beans

Re: Help me build a media streaming system

A HP Proliant Microserver will do everything you need. With a 520gt passively cooled gpu it also becomes a great media player. They are very popular over here and cheap.

Beans

I would reccomend a cheap headless build and a $200 ps3 with ps3 media server running.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by terrykiwi83 View Post
    So am just about to jump into a project to build a new system. [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]This new system must do the following:...............]
    Things to consider:
    -Size
    -Noise
    -Heat

So you prob dont want nothing larger then a mATX board. Preferably something smaller as it will be less cumbersome in the long run.
    Mini ITX would be prefered but really hard to get a good one.
    I however have had really good luck with Shuttle bare bone systems in the past.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101115
    It comes with PSU, Mobo, Case and onboard Radeon 3000 video which can be turned off and use a PCIX card of your choosing. Also less then 200 USD with Tax and Shipping. Also Comes with a heat pipe to pipe the warm goodness off the CPU. Get a regular dual core 65watt Athlon x2 for about 45-60 USD and then a 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green drive for about 100 USD and your set. You will have no heat issues or sound issues to worry about.
    I think total cost is like 330 USD, Throw in a DVD Burner for an extra 20 Bucks and your set..

EDIT:
    Forgot RAM LOL.. Grab 2GB stick for about 25 bucks and your good to go..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654