Thread: NICE: Google Earth!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: NICE: Google Earth!!

Quote Originally Posted by xi0nblue
    Works perfectly on amd64. Thanks google.
    Very true. Works great here too on my 64bit installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by evil_elman
    Easiest installation I've ever seen... We should have more of these 'Windows-like' installation if I might say so myself.

All other products I've installed so far has been software which isn't available in repositories and they have been a pain in comparison to this.
    I'd rather have a deb I can just click on to add it into the package management. It's just as easy but comes with the added benefit of being available to all users and easy removal / update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by aamukahvi
    I'd rather have a deb I can just click on to add it into the package management. It's just as easy but comes with the added benefit of being available to all users and easy removal / update.
    Maybe in a short time or someone will do it... The problem is that bin can be installed on any distro but deb is debian dependant, so I think there will be no deb in the near future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Can't they release an RPM via LSB. We can use the alien command then to install. The bin works fine don't get me wrong but we should encourage people to produce software via the standard methods. Prehaps when it leaves beta they will look at it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evil_elman
    Easiest installation I've ever seen... We should have more of these 'Windows-like' installation if I might say so myself.

All other products I've installed so far has been software which isn't available in repositories and they have been a pain in comparison to this.
    Yes, installations like this would make things easier. But the downside is that each program would take up this much room. This one's folder is 42MB which, for a Linux program, is huge. There are whole GNU/Linux operating systems that size.

The reason Google-earth is this big (and so easy to install) is that it includes all the libraries it could possibly need, even ones that the user already has installed. For example libqt-mt is included, which is the main (or one of the main) graphical library for KDE programs. If the user already has any KDE programs installed then having this library in the google-earth folder as well is a complete waste of space.

It might be okay for one or two programs to do this, but they can't all do this. Well, they could, but it'd be a lot of wasted space.

Beans

Is anyone noticing smoother movement in Windows than in Ubuntu? I sense a jerkyness when rotating the planet as compared to the Windows version. Hopefully I'm just imagining it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I actually thought movement on ubuntu was smoother... then again... that was when I last had windows, which was close to 7 or 8 months ago...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

movement in Ubuntu seems slower than in windows to me too, so kanem, youre not the only one out there!

Beans

It is indeed notably slower than in Windows...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast