Thread: Any planet hunters here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any planet hunters here?

I just wondered how many of you guys who are planet hunters? http://www.planethunters.org/

Zooniverse also has quite a few other interesting projects. Personally I've contributed to galaxy zoo and a couple of others. https://www.zooniverse.org/

Beans

Re: Any planet hunters here?

How can you even see anything on that UI of theirs? They show you a bunch of scattered white dots and then ask if you can see transits. The dots are basically all the same. You can't even hardly zoom in on it at all!

Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time than this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Planet hunting isn't for everyone and takes practise... It's confusing for a few minutes until you know what to do. It's not as difficult as you'd think.

And I'm not sure what you're referring when it comes to the zooming. You can zoom as much as you want by simply dragging the handles (the white circles). Very easy.

PS. Do the tutorial and read the information you find on the site in order to get an idea of what it's about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    How can you even see anything on that UI of theirs? They show you a bunch of scattered white dots and then ask if you can see transits. The dots are basically all the same. You can't even hardly zoom in on it at all!

Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time than this.
    You were expecting them to be easy to spot? If they were obvious it could just have been automated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    You were expecting them to be easy to spot? If they were obvious it could just have been automated.
    This. Planets aren't stars, they take a bit more oomph to point out. Even some Stars are hard to see when eclipsed by other stars (or, you might be looking at a binary star system.)

Most efficient way, so far, for "normal" people... is to see a planet pass in front of the star it orbits. There are obviously more ways to see planets.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    This. Planets aren't stars, they take a bit more oomph to point out. Even some Stars are hard to see when eclipsed by other stars (or, you might be looking at a binary star system.)

Most efficient way, so far, for "normal" people... is to see a planet pass in front of the star it orbits. There are obviously more ways to see planets.
    Yea Doppler shift is also very effective, but not for amateurs as the equipment and time requirements are more then a hobbyist to manage. At least if you lazy like I am..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!

Only exception to visible planets that only require "basic" telescopes (or even un-aided eyes), is our own solar system's planets. =/ Some planets though can become quite visible, especially venus and mars (especially mars in its dust season)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler