Thread: Seagate Bricked Hard Drive

Beans

Question Seagate Bricked Hard Drive

I'm looking for some advise here. My sister has one of the Seagate bricked hard drives that came with her HP computer. HP released a firmware fix but can only be applied to the drive if it is in working condition. Unfortunately we weren't aware of the issue until it happened. I've already tried recovering the data from it using the Nokia usb cable trick but that did not work. Now I am thinking the best option is to replace the logic board. They are fairly inexpensive right now, I can get one for around $30 I think. But I am only about 80% sure that it will work. I'm thinking that since it is a firmware issue that the problem lies in the logic board. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should replacing the logic board bring the drive back to life? I don't have the board with me at the moment so I can't say the model no./size/revision/firmware/etc. I remeber that the model number started with "ST" and ended with "AS", so it is probably similar to this one.

Also, it seems like there were a few different numbers that needed to match when replacing a Seagate logic board. Could somebody remind which ones they were? I think I need to match size, model no., and site no.

Beans

Re: Seagate Bricked Hard Drive

If that drive is one for which they issued this report, then I suggest a careful reread of it will show that they offer a data recovery service. Since this would only be needed in the case of a 'bricked' drive (not one for which the firmware could be updated), this should apply.
    You should be aware that they may suggest you have to go through HP, so you may have to push HP to get the necessary action. My memory says that if you supply details of the drive (including serial number), they will say that the drive is one supplied as a special arrangement, and that you have to go to the PC seller.

Good luck.
    Derek

Beans

I believe that Seagate will only recover data for retail drives, I would have to go through HP for the OEM drive. Also, I remember reading that HP will only do this if the computer is still under warranty. Honestly, even if the computer was under warranty I would rather just order a logic board for $30. I read stories of how it took clients months to get their drives back from HP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm surprised the Nokia cable method didn't work. I used that several times to bail people out.

The PCB thing is unlikely to work unless you find one in exactly the same lot. There are incremental changes all the time and there is no guaranty you could just swap. Sometimes the actual physical shape and dimensions of the board change.

In fact, as an added security measure when disposing of a drive, people often destroy the board along with wiping the platters.

For $30 you may get lucky.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I've replaced logic boards before with success, but never with a bricked drive. I have to admit that I'm not sure I used the right instructions for the Nokia cable method. As I understand it there are different commands to be used between Retail and OEM drives. I used the first method I found that sounded good (which was probably meant for a retail drive), then I discovered different instructions for an OEM drive. That didn't work either, so I am wondering if the first meathod I used put the drive in a worse state.

As long as the "bricked" problem is within the logic board I would think that replacing it with an identical or compatible board would fix it.