Thread: Different Nautilus

Beans

Different Nautilus

Earlier today, it looked like I had run a different version of nautilus which was nicer. I had thought it was an update, but it has 'disappeared' and gone back to normal.

Easily noticed differences:

• When clicking around the folders at the top representing your current path, it would make a sound.
    • All the icons for menu options appeared in the right click menu (e.g. for rabbit vcs etc).
    • The path bar looked like it was a bit larger/taller than it currently is.

Does this ring any bells with people? Perhaps it was a different view setup based on an accidental keyboard shortcut combo? I would love to get it back again. Perhaps it was a different program that just looked like nautilus? I have thunar and dolphin installed as well but they look very different.
    Last edited by sdpagent; February 17th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Different Nautilus

Nautilus has changed. I have never had sounds or just never turned up the alert volume. The latest version has even less features. Ubuntu 12.10 uses version 3.4 Because of the changes made by Gnome in 3.6. 3.4 is different than its predecessors also.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/u...tured-nautilus
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Sorry, I should probably have clarified some things:

I am running ubuntu 12.04 64 bit desktop (Unity).

It appears that this was a 'freak' one-off and I am wondering if I can reproduce it (is it some setttings or something?)

I have not installed any repos etc to change nautilus look and feel.

Has nautilus been updated in last day or two? I would love to get the icons next to the right click menu again. Perhaps I somehow manually initiated an older version of nautilus from the command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Nautilus has changed. I have never had sounds or just never turned up the alert volume. The latest version has even less features. Ubuntu 12.10 uses version 3.4 Because of the changes made by Gnome in 3.6. 3.4 is different than its predecessors also.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/u...tured-nautilus
    The developers might just want to keep at the back of their minds that old saying: "Don't fix what ain't broke". Just sayin'.

Beans

I'm a bit confused. Do people think that I am suggesting improvements to the file manager? I am talking something I saw/interfaced with and am kicking myself for not having taken a video/screenshot.

It appeared to be an improved version of the file manager (though could have been an older version or even a different program). I thought the sounds when clicking 'up' to parent directories was a bit odd but a nice touch. I was so sure that it was an update until it no longer appeared next time I opened the file manager. The main feature that the rabbitvcs icons showed in the right click menu was the nicest feature. I remember seeing a green circular arrow for update I believe.

I guess nobody has come across this 'look and feel' with nautilus before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There was an update to 12.04 .2 on 2-14 according to the link.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule

The changes I referred to came as default with your 12.04 installation. I was trying to explain that many features have been changed or removed since earlier versions.

The path bar will appear differently depending on theme, also look in Edit > Preferences for available settings.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; February 17th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks for that. I have dug through the preferences and cannot find anywhere that switches on the icons for the right click menu. I also have not set up any other themes. I will just have to keep experimenting until I am able to reproduce the effect.