Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,815

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by flurospar View Post
    First of all, Secure boot will prevent running alternate OSes, and BTW, Microsoft's new hibernating shutdown will also make it a better place for viruses. The viruses can be kept in memory for ever, and ever...

    To forcefully shutdown, IIRC, one can use:
    Code:
    shutdown /s /full t 0
    That is old news now.

    only if OEMS choose to and only effects if you buy a OEM with windows on it.

    Also there will more than likely be a option to disable it.

    And secure boot was cracked last year with bootkit.

    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/linux...continues/4343
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-copying-apple
    Last edited by haqking; April 9th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by flurospar View Post
    First of all, Secure boot will prevent running alternate OSes, and BTW, Microsoft's new hibernating shutdown will also make it a better place for viruses. The viruses can be kept in memory for ever, and ever...

    To forcefully shutdown, IIRC, one can use:
    Code:
    shutdown /s /full t 0
    The point that was being made was that this new pseudo shutdown that Windows 8 does is yet another way that it prevents (or at least makes it very hard) to dual boot the system. Most are aware of the secure boot issue.

    If the virus is/was in memory already or gets loaded there directly after restart makes little difference to its effectiveness I would imagine. Except that it may become unstable over time and stop working which would be a plus



    404
    404

    Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    I dualed windows 8 with no problems. Didn't share partitions though. Also MicroSoft has prevented linux or any other OS from running on their ARM devices.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    990
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by flurospar View Post
    First of all, Secure boot will prevent running alternate OSes, and BTW, Microsoft's new hibernating shutdown will also make it a better place for viruses. The viruses can be kept in memory for ever, and ever...

    To forcefully shutdown, IIRC, one can use:
    Code:
    shutdown /s /full t 0
    hm i won't have to ever worry about that since i built 2 pcs already and will continue to make my own. But this can become quite a problem for the less technical expirienced.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    1,850
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    hm i won't have to ever worry about that since i built 2 pcs already and will continue to make my own. But this can become quite a problem for the less technical expirienced.
    Or notebook-type machines where one does not have a choice of BIOS or motherboard. I'm certain there'll be desktop motherboard manufacturers who will have an easy opt-out for secure boot. Let's hope notebook manufacturers can resist any Microsoft 'recommendations' about locking secure boot on.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Beans
    32
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    This is why windows 8 will fail, RIP ubuntu users who will use windows 8

    1) Metro. Metro is a MOBILE operating system

    2) Crappy interface

    3) How the hell are you ment to use a touch screen interface with keyboard and mouse?

    3) Windows 8 is a tablet OS.

    4) Cant dual boot with linux and windows 8

    5) Non apple tablets are not a succsess, as people who dont really know about computers don't know there are other tablets that are not apple.

    6) No good for business

    7) Getting rid of the classic desktop.

    8) Internet explorer. I mean like, who would want to use a mobile internet browser. Its like using the android browser on your pc. It will not work.

    9) Getting rid of the start menu. I mean like, we have used the start menu since 1995, now we need to use a different start menu when the old one is fine?

    10) Windows 8 is for the type who only like microsoft and think its the only operating system
    ATI radeon 3870 512 MB
    WD10EARS hard disk
    Gigabyte GA-MA77OT-UD3 with 4GB ram
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 Quad core

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Beans
    98
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxmaniack View Post
    This is why windows 8 will fail, RIP ubuntu users who will use windows 8

    1) Metro. Metro is a MOBILE operating system

    2) Crappy interface

    3) How the hell are you ment to use a touch screen interface with keyboard and mouse?

    3) Windows 8 is a tablet OS.

    4) Cant dual boot with linux and windows 8

    5) Non apple tablets are not a succsess, as people who dont really know about computers don't know there are other tablets that are not apple.

    6) No good for business

    7) Getting rid of the classic desktop.

    8) Internet explorer. I mean like, who would want to use a mobile internet browser. Its like using the android browser on your pc. It will not work.

    9) Getting rid of the start menu. I mean like, we have used the start menu since 1995, now we need to use a different start menu when the old one is fine?

    10) Windows 8 is for the type who only like microsoft and think its the only operating system
    I disagree:
    1) Metro works well on any device I've tested it on. The live tiles are amazing.

    2) An opinion, I quite like the minimalist look

    3a) It works quite well with a keyboard and touchpad, not as well with a mouse, but still very usable.

    3b) Windows 8 works just fine on my laptop.

    4) I'm dual booting. I just can't use the shutdown option in the charms bar.

    5) Not so far, but they might very soon. Almost everyone knows what Windows is.

    6) True, but that's not what they're aiming for.

    7) I can still use the desktop with windows, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

    8) Internet Explorer 10 is actually pretty nice.

    9) Using the Metro UI as a Start Menu is a change, but once you get used to it, it's actually quite nice.

    10) Pft, yeah right. Microsoft is defiantly low on my favorite companies list. I *KNOW* Windows isn't the only OS.

    But this tread isn't about whether or not Windows 8 will be successful, it's a warning to people sharing partitions while dual-booting Windows 8 with any other OS.
    Last edited by Mars11; April 10th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    90
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Let's hope notebook manufacturers can resist any Microsoft 'recommendations' about locking secure boot on.
    I can see that happening... no. HP doesn't even let you chose between graphic cards in BIOS, rendering all those Radeons across some models unusable*. It would be a real shock to me if they added a switch to BIOS for secure boot.

    *This is a small personal grudge I have with HP

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    France
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Highland, IN - USA
    Beans
    1,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters

    Hybrid boot (fast startup) can be disabled within Windows 8 easily...

    http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-enab...p-in-windows-8
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

    My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •