Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why ubuntuforum.org is not using SSL connection?

Beans

Why ubuntuforum.org is not using SSL connection?

As I see when logging into ubuntuforums.org there is no SSL connection (https). So anyone on the network path may get access to userid/password users are logged with.

Any real reason not to implement the https? Please do not respond with "performance reason", because cite from https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/deploying-https "Many site operators report that they can’t move to HTTPS for performance reasons. However, most people who say this have not actually measured any performance loss, may not have measured performance at all..." and Google measuring SSL overhead: "In order to do this we had to deploy no additional machines and no special hardware. On our production frontend machines, SSL/TLS accounts for less than 1% of the CPU load, less than 10KB of memory per connection and less than 2% of network overhead..."

What is the reason ubuntuforums.org is not using SSL like almost all of the web forums/sites that I visit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Why ubuntuforum.org is not using SSL connection?

What's the point though? Why do you need https? http works perfectly fine for me, I don't really need my communication on this forum encrypted for any reason. And if I did, I'd use tor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    ... What is the reason ubuntuforums.org is not using SSL like almost all of the web forums/sites that I visit?
    Most of the forums I visit do not use SSL. In any case, I have different usernames and passwords for important sites.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    So anyone on the network path may get access to userid/password users are logged with.
    The password is sent hashed, so even if someone were IP sniffing, they would only recover the hash.

If you want SSL sign-on, sign in via your Launchpad account.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I have a Launchpad account. How do I sign in to the forum via Launchpad? Just curious. I mostly won't be doing so as I don't see the need.

Edit: found it.
    Last edited by vasa1; April 6th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I have a Launchpad account. How do I sign in to the forum via Launchpad? Just curious. I mostly won't be doing so as I don't see the need.
    logout - just above the login box is something that says login with launchpad

or something along those line

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    logout - just above the login box is something that says login with launchpad

or something along those line
    Thanks! I saw that after I logged out, something I don't normally do!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Same

I have to logout each time to answer it - should try and remember

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hughr2005 View Post
    ...I don't really need my communication on this forum encrypted for any reason. And if I did, I'd use tor.
    It looks like you don't really understand the difference between anonymity and privacy, or you are misinformed. Tor should be used for anonymity reasons not privacy reasons. Lets look into how Tor actually works:
    a) User that is using Tor network enters the network with encrypted data.
    b) Encrypted data are passed to first random Tor server
    c) Encrypted data are passed to the second random Tor server.
    d) Encrypted data are passed to the third random Tor server.
    Note: All this passing is done on servers with different country or even continent. So far all the traces from where original post comes from are removed. So anonymity is now taken into a place.
    e) The last (third) Tor server (officially named exit relay) passes the data (also password) to the target web server in UNENCRYPTED way. So if target web server is not using SSL/TLS (like https) then password can be easily seen between any Tor's exit relay and the bypassed servers to web server. You see Tor does not ensures PRIVACY. To make Tor to work anonymity plus privacy the target web server MUST use SSL connection.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Most of the forums I visit do not use SSL. In any case, I have different usernames and passwords for important sites.
    You see you are FORCED to use different usernames/passwords because some of the forums (NOT ALL!) do not use SSL connection.

The password is sent hashed, so even if someone were IP sniffing, they would only recover the hash.
    This is not safe. I have analyzed my own network packets (IP sniffed in your jargon) and I see password is being transformed with md5sum algorithm. This is not safe. I agree that reverse engineered md5 hash is very hard if not impossible, but there is no need of braking md5 to see the data. Let me explain, user that gets md5 password (IP sniffed) can write a program to generate all of the combination of lets say one to eight length password and then create md5 hash for all of this clear-text passwords. Now just compare the md5 sniffed password with md5 created database and just look at the original clear-text password. This is actually simple task to do to get a clear text password. Not safe.

This looks like a good idea, good work-around. Password is encrypted properly with SSL. The annoying thing is that this takes a lot of time to log-in, it is a slow opening Launchpad window etc. I hate to stay logged-in! This is also not secure (to stay logged-in), I use computer on public sites a lot. The second problem is privacy one. My Launchpad account and ubuntuforums.org account are different to ensure maximum privacy. When user links two IDs the privacy is reduced. Some system admins now knows the link between two different accounts. Not big issue, but if respecting end-user privacy, this practice is not good.

I think there is no big reason not to use SSL connection, except of buying a proper certificate witch are not expensive for single-domain. I would really like to know what is the reason not to implement SSL? The reason that other web sites (that are obviously insecure) do not use it, is a weak argument. It is just simple, you respect end-users privacy or you don't.
    Last edited by abcuser; April 8th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Beans

It looks like you don't really understand the difference between anonymity and privacy, or you are misinformed. Tor should be used for anonymity reasons not privacy reasons. Lets look into how Tor actually works:
    a) User that is using Tor network enters the network with encrypted data.
    b) Encrypted data are passed to first random Tor server
    c) Encrypted data are passed to the second random Tor server.
    d) Encrypted data are passed to the third random Tor server.
    Note: All this passing is done on servers with different country or even continent. So far all the traces from where original post comes from are removed. So anonymity is now taken into a place.
    e) The last (third) Tor server (officially named exit relay) passes the data (also password) to the target web server in UNENCRYPTED way. So if target web server is not using SSL/TLS (like https) then password can be easily seen between any Tor's exit relay and the bypassed servers to web server. You see Tor does not ensures PRIVACY. To make Tor to work anonymity plus privacy the target web server MUST use SSL connection.
    Haha now that's how you get things straight.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast