Thread: Multiple ubuntu installs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Multiple ubuntu installs

Question Guys. I would like to try LinuxCNC out on live cd and if I like it, would like to install it. I know that the newest release is built around Ubuntu 10.04LTS. The machine I would install it on is currently dual booting Win7 and Ubuntu 11.10. Can I go ahead and install this alongside whats there with out hosing Grub or is there going to have to be a pecking order. By this I mean Loading Win 7 then linuxcnc (Ubuntu 10.04) and then Ubuntu 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Multiple ubuntu installs

I have a similar setup. If you install 11.10 last using the normal approach, it will have control of the Grub. The only quirk is, if you get a new kernel in 10.04, you need to boot 11.10 and run sudo update-grub to make the new 10.04 kernel available.

Or you can just wait until there's a kernel update in 11.10, at which point update-grub is run automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Or when you install LinuxCNC you can choose to install its bootloader to its own / partition instead of the MBR, then just run 'sudo update-grub' from your Ubuntu install to add it to the main grub menu.

Using this method each linux install looks after it's own grub settings which avoids the quirk mentioned above.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the response was not sure just exactly what to do. Better off getting a little help than hosing everything up just to learn! Again Thanks.