Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows is the new Linux

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Windows is the new Linux

[MS] is even going so far as to finance the development of Windows Phone versions of well-known apps — something that app makers estimate would otherwise cost them anywhere from $60,000 to $600,000
    This is the story (if you haven't used up your 10 free stories at NYTimes):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/te...k.html?_r=1&hp

The story is grimly satisfying.Talk about roll reversal. Get a load of these quotes:

But the hundreds of thousands of apps that run on Apple and Android devices will not work on phones like the Lumia 900 that use Microsoft’s Windows Phone software. And many developers are reluctant to funnel time and money into an app for what is still a small and unproved market.
    Or:

"Ben Huh, chief executive of the Cheezburger Network, a collection of humor and entertainment sites, said Microsoft’s market share was too small to warrant in-house development of a Windows Phone app."
    Or:

"Often Microsoft’s problem is not outright refusal by a developer, but more that its platform is simply not a priority."
    Or:

“We’re starting to get requests from firms that want a Windows Phone app,” he said. “It’s still only 5 to 10 percent of our total requests..."
    Karma. It's real. Don't mess with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Windows is the new Linux

Very Nice !
    Linux phones rule and tablets.
    Maybe some day the desktop war will be won !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Guys, seriously, this will change immediately with Windows 8's launch. All of a sudden, the Windows mobile platform will be ubiquitous. We'll find out later on whether sacrificing their desktop platform for the mobile one was a good idea, but making fun of Phone 7's problems could turn out to be bad karma for us later on. = /

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Guys, seriously, this will change immediately with Windows 8's launch. All of a sudden, the Windows mobile platform will be ubiquitous. We'll find out later on whether sacrificing their desktop platform for the mobile one was a good idea, but making fun of Phone 7's problems could turn out to be bad karma for us later on. = /
    x86 / x64 apps won't work on ARM though. Windows 8 will have ARM compatibility (and that's what Microsoft wants Windows 8 on primarily anyway) but not most of the applications. I can't see game makers (Bethesda, Valve, etc.) at all willing to switch to ARM.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I dont think Win 8 is going to change that much. Its looking like a disaster so far and few people are going to run out and buy a new phone simply because it has Windows 8 on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't believe Cheezburger has an app for Android either. Not an official one at least. I use Bestdem to browse Cheezburger sites on my mobile.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by beanhead View Post
    Very Nice !
    Linux phones rule and tablets.
    Maybe some day the desktop war will be won !

The desktop as we know it will be dead soon. Pretty soon, people will carry around mobile computers (think advanced smartphones) that can dock with any large screen or project onto a wall and have computing capabilities similar to our desktops of today. Believe it or not, these devices are appearing already.

So I guess in a roundabout way, the linux "desktop" could take over if android continues to dominate in the cell phone/tablet arena. I think window sealed its fate by not endearing themselves to the mobile public/market.

It took me a while to come to terms with it, but mobile/docking computing is the way of the future, and android will lead the way. MS dropped the ball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

LOL in the not-so-distant future we may see people carrying their Android phones, put them in a dock and voila! a functional Ubuntu desktop
    That's just my fantasy though.

Beans
    Distro

the Windows mobile platform will be ubiquitous.
    I would bet my life that this will not happen. Android is entrenched as THE mobile solution for most people. Even a lot of iphone users are starting to switch to android once they get a taste of it. Staunch windows users will admit android is the way to go mobile. Go to any android forum, and 99% of the posters are windows users who will defend android to the death.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    LOL in the not-so-distant future we may see people carrying their Android phones, put them in a dock and voila! a functional Ubuntu desktop
    That's just my fantasy though.
    It's not fantasy. Here-----> http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast