Thread: LTS: canonical desktop support for Unity/Unity2d only?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LTS: canonical desktop support for Unity/Unity2d only?

Hello All

Have tested a 10.04.4 -> 12.04 upgrade using the software udate upgrade path and it went very smoothly. As always with testing I used a 'spare' PC and did not risk any important data. 12.04 is due to be released later this month. 10.04 will reach the end of the support period in early 2013.

Does Canonical paid support involve the Unity/Unity2d desktop only or will it extend to Gnome Panel (aka gnome-fallback) or XFCE?

Just wondering what the training/introduction requirement may be for people confronting the Unity desktop for the first time in a work setting, and what resources we can muster in the form of walkthrough videos, leaflets, posters &c as a community effort
    Last edited by keithpeter; April 5th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LTS: canonical desktop support for Unity/Unity2d only?

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    Just wondering what the training/introduction requirement may be for people confronting the Unity desktop for the first time in a work setting, and what resources we can muster in the form of walkthrough videos, leaflets, posters &c as a community effort
    Great question, and I think Canonical should answer it to ease the migration retraining hassles.

If Gnome Session Fallback is in the 'Main' channel then Canonical officially supports it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: LTS: canonical desktop support for Unity/Unity2d only?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    If Gnome Session Fallback is in the 'Main' channel then Canonical officially supports it.
    Thanks 3rdalbum

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...ssion-fallback

gnome-session-fallback is in main, but is not installed by default. It would be helpful to know Canonical's position on supporting the fallback session with people who are migrating from 10.04 to 12.04.

I think the community here can muster a fair range of material for using Unity, but it might need presenting in a slightly different way for end users who do not find the OS itself interesting.