Thread: PCSX-Reloaded sound is choppy in Silent Hill

Beans

PCSX-Reloaded sound is choppy in Silent Hill

Does anyone have any advice...? I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with the GNOME3 desktop (I do have Xfce installed and also use it on occasion, though.) Everything else seems to run perfectly, but, for some reason, I can't make the sound any less choppy. I've googled and googled and tried all kinds of configurations (I'm using the SDL Sound 1.6.0 plugin that comes with my download of PCSX-R and the preset GPU plugin, as well) and nothing has helped. I also tried turning off pulseaudio, no dice.

Anyone here have any ideas...? Maybe a different plugin I could try? Or, hey, I'd be down with trying a whole other emulator, if you have any suggestions. (I've tried eSPXe and it doesn't play well with my setup, for some reason.)

Thanks for your time.

ETA: I tried the Eternal SPU plugin in the Windows version of PCSX-R, through Wine, and it works flawlessly, but my controller hates Wine. I tried using the same plugin's linux port in the linux version of PCSX-R, and it... doesn't even show up on the dropdown menu for the sound plugin. Um... what do I do?
    Last edited by gurokko; April 5th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Beans

Re: PCSX-Reloaded sound is choppy in Silent Hill

Try PSP. It is the best PSX emulator

Beans

PSP? I'm not sure what you mean. As in the portable Playstation system, or is that the name of an emulator? And if it is the name of the system, that is absolutely NOT in my budget right now, unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gurokko View Post
    Does anyone have any advice...? I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with the GNOME3 desktop (I do have Xfce installed and also use it on occasion, though.) Everything else seems to run perfectly, but, for some reason, I can't make the sound any less choppy. I've googled and googled and tried all kinds of configurations (I'm using the SDL Sound 1.6.0 plugin that comes with my download of PCSX-R and the preset GPU plugin, as well) and nothing has helped. I also tried turning off pulseaudio, no dice.
    I dunno. I would try another audio plugin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    I dunno. I would try another audio plugin.
    This is a good idea, and I'm trying to, but for some reason, my emulator refuses to recognize any other plugins. They don't even show up on the dropdown menu. Am I putting them in the wrong folder or something? (I'm putting them in the plugins folder in .pcsx off my home folder.)

Beans

... welp, seems I figured out the problem: I uninstalled and reinstalled PCSXR from the repo instead of from the software manager, and it works perfectly just with the default plugins. IGNORE ME, I'M A MORON...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gurokko View Post
    This is a good idea, and I'm trying to, but for some reason, my emulator refuses to recognize any other plugins. They don't even show up on the dropdown menu. Am I putting them in the wrong folder or something? (I'm putting them in the plugins folder in .pcsx off my home folder.)
    Likely dependency-hell. I bet you there's a library error when launched from the terminal and going to the plugin configuration section.
    Especially the dreaded "cannot load shared library file x No such file or directory" error message.