View Poll Results: How many cores are you running ?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 core

11 10.19%
  • 2 core

43 39.81%
  • 4 core

51 47.22%
  • More

14 12.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many CORES do you run ?

Beans

Re: How many CORES do you run ?

Yeah, I think it will take some time before quad core CPU's are behind the times. They only thing that makes mine run anywhere near full is handbrake, which I think would use close to max CPU no matter how many cores you had!

Beans
    Hidden!

My server (approx 7 years old) is a 64-bit single core machine - fairly modest specs by today's standards, but it works, and it's definitely more suited to the task than the 12+ year old machine sitting on the floor next to it.

Both my laptops are 2-core machines.

I haven't bothered researching what's under the hood of my entertainment gear or phones.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quad core currently.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timsdeepsky View Post
    I have AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-core 970 3.5GHz Black Edition Processors....I figured on moving up to 8 core when i got close to maxing this one out....After installing an Antec Liquid Cooling System to cool them more and get rid of the fan noise,,,,i am not even close to burying my quad cores....
    Yea got a Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz Quad) and may burry the cores to max once or twice every couple of months. No real reason to upgrade other then I want to and going to use this mobo, ram and cpu for my daughters pc I am putting together for her. Prob going to get a FX 3.6Ghz 8 Core and 16GB of RAM for my new one.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Depends on what machine I am on. I have a 6 core gaming machine and 2 socket 939 machines, one streaming netflix and web to my home entertainment and this my main work computer. Last but not least is a soket "A" machine that will be retired to the garage as an ODBII scanner and a dual core phenom put in it's place hopefully setup as a media server to my house. My first try at setting up a server. Right now all the machines dual boot because they were all windows machines. But all of my new builds will be stritly Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use a Dell T7400, two X5492 processors. Bit old, but I haven't seen any reason to upgrade yet

I use two X7460s (It actually didn't cost as much as it should have. Its one of the good things about off-lease stuff) in my server, running vmware ESX.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

64 cores.... tile64 ;-P
    lol nah, just 4 on the desktop and 2 on my lappy.

Beans

64 cores LOL...

Serious note if they made a good single or dual chip motherboard these days that would run a AMD Operton I would have a 12 or 24 core system.. But.... they dont..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Currently running a Dual Core, it's a black edition Phenom that wouldn't unlock unfortunately, but it still does the trick for me

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    64 cores LOL...

Serious note if they made a good single or dual chip motherboard these days that would run a AMD Operton I would have a 12 or 24 core system.. But.... they dont..
    I think the HP DL585 was the last of that breed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast