Thread: IPtables Script Import Order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IPtables Script Import Order

I have a script that is several hundred lines long full of iptables rules (I've spent way too much time on this, and had far too much fun testing it) but when I run the script, the rules go in wrong - that is, when I do...
    Code:
    iptables -vnL
    The order (being that iptables starts at the top of the chain and works its way down) is out of order, but it's ordered properly in the script. Is there something I can do to fix this easily?

Here's a comparison... [ see attachments ]

So, though the rules in the script are ordered properly, when I run the script the Jump to ACCEPTED is listed BEFORE the logging rules. Why is this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where there's a will, there's a way.

Doing something fun in Linux? Stuck somewhere and bent on solving it yourself? Give Calomel some lovin' over here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: IPtables Script Import Order

Another, asside question... How the heck do I change the default logging location of iptables? I don't want it logging to /var/log/syslog... I want it logging to /var/log/iptables.log
    Thoughts?

Doing something fun in Linux? Stuck somewhere and bent on solving it yourself? Give Calomel some lovin' over here.

Beans

You are using -I instead of -A to insert your rules. -I is an insert command, -A is append. Rules are being inserted at the beginning of every chain, instead of being appended to the end of the chain.

I'm not entirely sure if iptables allows you to change it's logging location. However, you can use --log-level and --log-prefix to help format your log messages, and then use rsyslog rules to redirect all output into /var/log/iptables.log.

P.S. If you are going to advise people in your signature to read the ******* manual, which is against the spirit of these forums, I'd advise you to do the same.
    Last edited by dfreer; April 4th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're absolutely right - I'm using -A in all rules except the block I posted and I cannot believe I missed that! Thanks for pointing it out.

Problem solved - that was indeed the issue for that set of rules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your script looks very interesting and it looks like that you have actually invested a lot of time to that.
    Can you add your script here so that others can also appreciate and learn from your deep and hard working.