Thread: Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

Beans

Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

Hi All,

I have just finished installing Ironhide for my Dell XPS L502X, and it seems to work great. A test with glxspheres gives me a nice smooth animation.

11.10 has Unity by default, and I have installed compizconfig settings manager. Now that I have installed all the necessary graphics drivers, desktop cube etc etc should work right?

It's not working! The moment I disable Desktop Wall and plugins, and Desktop Cube is chosen, the Unity taskbar disappears, the notification bar disappears, and all I am left with is the Desktop wallpaper. After this, I have to navigate to tty1 and reset unity.

Why is this happening? I did not install any of the recommended Nvidia drivers as I know they cause problems. Hence, Ironhide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

I did that too - just wondered if Unity would work with the cube I learned it didn't.

To fix it I opened a terminal alt control F1 and installed fluxbox (I wanted to do this anyway) sudo apt-get install fluxbox then restarted logged into fluxbox and opened ccsm and un-ticked the the cube and rotate cube and re-ticked the wall and all was well again.

I expect there is an easier way like deleting /home/user/.config/compiz-1 or /home/user/.compiz-1 but I'm not sure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    I did that too - just wondered if Unity would work with the cube I learned it didn't.

To fix it I opened a terminal alt control F1 and installed fluxbox (I wanted to do this anyway) sudo apt-get install fluxbox then restarted logged into fluxbox and opened ccsm and un-ticked the the cube and rotate cube and re-ticked the wall and all was well again.

I expect there is an easier way like deleting /home/user/.config/compiz-1 or /home/user/.compiz-1 but I'm not sure.
    Ok. The unity --reset worked for me, but wobbly and fading window settings also disappeared.. So now my question is, what do I do to get the cube?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sknth View Post
    Ok. The unity --reset worked for me, but wobbly and fading window settings also disappeared.. So now my question is, what do I do to get the cube?
    Hi sknth,

It seems there is a way to enable cube here:

"How to correctly enable Desktop Cube in Unity 3D"
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977...be-in-unity-3d

However I myself have not tried it yet...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kazztan0325 View Post
    Hi sknth,

It seems there is a way to enable cube here:

"How to correctly enable Desktop Cube in Unity 3D"
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977...be-in-unity-3d

However I myself have not tried it yet...
    I tried it, but it didn't work. I'm not sure why. I will try rebooting to see if that makes a difference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sknth View Post
    I tried it, but it didn't work. I'm not sure why. I will try rebooting to see if that makes a difference.
    I guess maybe it would work after rebooting.
    Could you get Cube?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, actually the cube is easy to setup in 11.10 use the second link in my signature to the wiki, just make sure you use the one for 11.10 and it will miss up your desktop until you are done but if you keep going everything will come back and I know I wrote the guide and spent a month testing it.

With your video card it may never work right though.
    Thanks