Thread: Complete Newbe and proud of it sofar Help

Beans

Thumbs down Complete Newbe and proud of it sofar Help

Hi its been a while since I was here but I really need help. I was wanting to run Ubuntu 11.10 64Bit on a seperate partition of my hdd. I have partitioned off approx100GB to run it on and when I went to load up using Wubi it showed that I had both my partitions available however it named them diferently. I would like to run Ubuntu as a dual boot with WinXP. I know silly but untill I get the hang of Ubuntu please bear with me. Can someone help. Regards to all Chris
    Last edited by ChrisPear; April 5th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Complete Newbe and proud of it sofar Help

Hi, if you want to use 100 gb partition then you would not install using wubi, you would install a normal dual boot.

Wubi just creates a small 17 gb partition inside windows it is for the purpose of see if you like ubuntu not for long term.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1650699
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would suggest removing your personal contact information, bots will pick it up and spam you. We can provide help here on this thread and if someone has the need to discussion something in private, they can pm you.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I just use the livecd or liveusb of ubuntu and set the partitions manually, if you follow the guide in the link I gave you you should not have any problems but read carefully.

All work we do is in the forum so everyone can benefit from the answers.
    Thanks

Beans

Exclamation Re: Complete Newbe and proud of it sofar Help

Not exactly a complete noob, but close enough. Installed Ubuntu NBR onto an ASUS EEE pc 900A Linux (now with 64 Gb. SSD and 2 Gb. RAM) back about ver. 9.04. Upgraded since then and successfuly running the full Gnome desktop at ver. 11.10. Two small problems recently. At least since the last upgrade, GRUB reports finding at least half-a-dozen versions, all of which are bootable from the GRUB Menu, with a few small provisos. None will boot w/o my 8 Gb. SD chip inserted, even though gparted reports sda as bootable. Also one of the vers. boots normally from GRUB only to end at a menuless (Dare I say it) Blue Screen. This isn't the infamous BSOD though Because Ctrl.Alt.T will bring up a working Terminal window. I know I buggered this up myself trying to reconfigure things on the desktop, just can't fix it. Anyone wanna try to solve my screwup?
    Last edited by alagator; April 5th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Complete Newbe and proud of it sofar Help

Oops just realized I misposted Mea Culpa, now to figure out how to move it.
    Last edited by alagator; April 5th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.