Thread: Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

Hybrid View

Beans

Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

Hi All,

I have just finished installing Ironhide for my Dell XPS L502X, and it seems to work great. A test with glxspheres gives me a nice smooth animation.

11.10 has Unity by default, and I have installed compizconfig settings manager. Now that I have installed all the necessary graphics drivers, desktop cube etc etc should work right?

It's not working! The moment I disable Desktop Wall and plugins, and Desktop Cube is chosen, the Unity taskbar disappears, the notification bar disappears, and all I am left with is the Desktop wallpaper. After this, I have to navigate to tty1 and reset unity.

Why is this happening? I did not install any of the recommended Nvidia drivers as I know they cause problems. Hence, Ironhide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Oneiric <-> Compiz Config Settings Manager Issues

I did that too - just wondered if Unity would work with the cube I learned it didn't.

To fix it I opened a terminal alt control F1 and installed fluxbox (I wanted to do this anyway) sudo apt-get install fluxbox then restarted logged into fluxbox and opened ccsm and un-ticked the the cube and rotate cube and re-ticked the wall and all was well again.

I expect there is an easier way like deleting /home/user/.config/compiz-1 or /home/user/.compiz-1 but I'm not sure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    I did that too - just wondered if Unity would work with the cube I learned it didn't.

To fix it I opened a terminal alt control F1 and installed fluxbox (I wanted to do this anyway) sudo apt-get install fluxbox then restarted logged into fluxbox and opened ccsm and un-ticked the the cube and rotate cube and re-ticked the wall and all was well again.

I expect there is an easier way like deleting /home/user/.config/compiz-1 or /home/user/.compiz-1 but I'm not sure.
    Ok. The unity --reset worked for me, but wobbly and fading window settings also disappeared.. So now my question is, what do I do to get the cube?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sknth View Post
    Ok. The unity --reset worked for me, but wobbly and fading window settings also disappeared.. So now my question is, what do I do to get the cube?
    Hi sknth,

It seems there is a way to enable cube here:

"How to correctly enable Desktop Cube in Unity 3D"
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977...be-in-unity-3d

However I myself have not tried it yet...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kazztan0325 View Post
    Hi sknth,

It seems there is a way to enable cube here:

"How to correctly enable Desktop Cube in Unity 3D"
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977...be-in-unity-3d

However I myself have not tried it yet...
    I tried it, but it didn't work. I'm not sure why. I will try rebooting to see if that makes a difference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sknth View Post
    I tried it, but it didn't work. I'm not sure why. I will try rebooting to see if that makes a difference.
    I guess maybe it would work after rebooting.
    Could you get Cube?