Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE won't install updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: OpenSUSE won't install updates

OK. I'm on 12.1.

Go to YaST and open Software Repositories.

Look down through the Enabled column and make sure that all but the Debug and Source repositories are enabled (add Debug and Source if you are developing, of course.)

Let me know how it looks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ah. I'm being summoned.

From here, hit Refresh and select "All Autorefreshed". If anything burps, keep track of it.

Then, jot down what you currently have enabled. Disable all but the one that says "Updates for OpenSUSE..."

Run your updates again. That should get most of the updates you need.

Go back and enable the ones you disabled before that.

I'll try to check by again tomorrow.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Ah. I'm being summoned.

From here, hit Refresh and select "All Autorefreshed". If anything burps, keep track of it.

Then, jot down what you currently have enabled. Disable all but the one that says "Updates for OpenSUSE..."

Run your updates again. That should get most of the updates you need.

Go back and enable the ones you disabled before that.

I'll try to check by again tomorrow.
    Sorry about the late reply.

Alright I deselected everything but the update in the Software Repositories and I was able to install 3 updates, I then restarted and it now says there are 150 updates that need to be installed and when I clicked the install updates button it said some dependencies were not found for some of the 150 updates. At least we are making progress.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OK. It seems from the thread that the problem was with the non-oss repository. Enable the others you disabled with the exception of that one and see what happens.

I'm still scratching my head on that one repository.

Beans

OK. It seems from the thread that the problem was with the non-oss repository. Enable the others you disabled with the exception of that one and see what happens.

Hay, I didn't have any time to try this out today, I will try tommorow when I have more time. Thanks and please check back.

Beans

Hay, I disabled and then re-enabled all the software check boxes in the software respiratory except "games" and it then installed all 150 of them.

So what should I do about the games one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

could you run zypper ref and then post the output of zypper lr?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boydrice View Post
    could you run zypper ref and then post the output of zypper lr?
    What will running this command do?

And is my computers security at risk if I can't get the games update to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    What will running this command do?

And is my computers security at risk if I can't get the games update to work?
    zypper is the command line package management tool in opensuse, think apt-get on debian distros or yum on fedora/rhel. zypper lr will list your repos. the reason I wanted to see the repos you have installed is in one of your posts you listed a repo for 11.4 but then in another post you said you were running 12.1. Here is a guide on zypper as of 11.3 but most of it applies. you can also run man zypper or zypper -h for more info.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boydrice View Post
    zypper is the command line package management tool in opensuse, think apt-get on debian distros or yum on fedora/rhel. zypper lr will list your repos. the reason I wanted to see the repos you have installed is in one of your posts you listed a repo for 11.4 but then in another post you said you were running 12.1. Here is a guide on zypper as of 11.3 but most of it applies. you can also run man zypper or zypper -h for more info.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
    Hi, I ran the command and it said everything was up to date (except "games" which wasn't listed).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast