Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mouse lagging in Ubuntu 12.04 in my Atom laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy mouse lagging in Ubuntu 12.04 in my Atom laptop

I have a Netbook with an Atom N450 CPU and 1 GB memory.
    When I currently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 from Ubuntu 10.04, I have found that the new unity desktop is so sticky Especially when I open the libre office, almost everything sticked including the cursor !

So I made a decision to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 although it haven't been released yet. However, it is much faster running on my Atom netbook, I think that is probably because hardware acceleration is supported.

Nevertheless, that problem still exists: when I switching a tabs to another in Google Chrome, for example, My hard disk is reading continuously for a while, and the CPU usage is extremely high ( almost 100 % ).

Despite the usage of CPU, a cursor shouldn't have been sticked on the screen any way when I was using Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Xp. It isn't a great matter, I was annoying, though. Is that anyone can explain this problem, or is that possible to solve it ?

Thank you
    Last edited by DaviesX; April 4th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: mouse lagging in Ubuntu 12.04 in my Atom laptop

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I have moved the thread to the ubuntu+1 sub-forum where folks testing 12.04 beta may be able to help you.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if things are slow, they might be for several reasons. try checking what process is using the CPU the most and also see if you are using large amounts of swap.

you can do it with "top" in the terminal or just using the system monitor from the dash

as always - 12.04 is still not ready so upgrading from an older system can actually result in some different issues compared to fresh install. If I was you, I would back up all data and install 12.04 from an daily image

Beans
    Hidden!

I think that 'vanilla' Ubuntu is slow because it has too much 'eye candy'.

Either you tweak the desktop environment, so that it will demand less horsepower, or you try other flavours of Ubuntu

- Xubuntu with XFCE has a small foot-print
    - Lubuntu with LXDE has an ultra-small foot-print.

- as suggested by meborc: install a fresh 'vanilla' Ubuntu 12.04.

Anyway, download iso files for these flavours and try them live before installing.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.

I saw someone in the forum posted such a solution about how to solve this problem, I would like to try it first.

Adding the following line in /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

options drm_kms_helper poll=N

Then restart.

Beans
    Distro

Actually I have used Ubuntu only for several months, But I find it pretty good. Especially that is because I only have a slow netbook, it can't work sensitive enough with Windows Xp. So I try switching to a free Linux-kernel Ubuntu 10.04 and everything is good except the Ralink wireless hasn't supported yet, I have to install myself.

Beans
    Distro

It still doesn't work, Perhaps I should make up a fresh install to see if that help.
    And I wonder if it is related to the upgrade of Linux kernel. Does the new kernel use another strategy in dispatching CPU time on tasks so that the user interface does not get enough resources computing while some other tasks are busy ?

Beans
    Distro

That problem finally solved using a fresh installation, I think it is better to use a fresh installation than an upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: mouse lagging in Ubuntu 12.04 in my Atom laptop

Quote Originally Posted by DaviesX View Post
    That problem finally solved using a fresh installation, I think it is better to use a fresh installation than an upgrade
    Verily. Once install is working (ubiquity install bugs are legion in launchpad!) I install as soon as something significant is taking place.

This is a Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz with no problem with mouse speed.

Early in pangolin I couldn't install because the ubiquity required screen size was greater than 1024x600 with key choices falling off the botton. That's been fixed, and through the forums found out how to move the screen. I just didn't know what the problem was until I installed on a 1024x768 screen and saw the options at the bottom.

That said, pangolin won't install on my Thinkpad R31 failing during the copy step - every day's zsync does the same. Yes launchpad bug written.

I've lubuntu 12.04 running on it because Alpha would install and have been updating since oink oink on disk space with accumulated garbage despite my efforts with synaptic and apt-get clean, autoclean, autoremove ...

Test partitions! Install often! Backup!

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast