Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    Well, Apple plans to switch from iOS to OSX soon, so iPad, iPhone, and Mac will all run off of the same OS.
    [Citation needed]

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Alex, Linux experiences change on quite a frequent basis. The constant trend in computing is toward more helpful, more attractive, less complicated user interfaces. This is why Gnome 2 was obsoleted - it is not attractive, not as "helpful" as the competition, and starting to get complicated like the Windows XP Networking control panel.

Gnome's developers wrote Gnome 3 and Ubuntu's developers wrote Unity. These are both responses to the continuing trend in computing, with the added bonus that they scale well to different screen sizes and different input methods (keyboards, TV remotes, touchscreens).

In short, Gnome 3 and Unity are the near-future of computing. In a year or so, after the initial adjustment pains, NOBODY will want to go back to Gnome 2 because it's simply not a very practical user interface for 2012 compared to Unity. Linux is continually changing and keeping up with the changes is part of being a Linux user. Even folks on Debian Stable will not avoid being dragged into the present day...
    Well I tell you what - Unity is utterly worthless for people who make a living on a desktop. With 50" of flat panels a very few buttons and having to remember all the unusual names of the software I use and type-in partial names is a JOKE. That notion only works for a small-screen touchy toys, but NOT for serious full-time users. Do you folks really think someone is going to remove the O/S shipped on one of those touchy toys in favor of Unity?

All your spin on Unity is simply not accurate. The fact is Ubuntu developers wanted to break-away from GNome to do something on their own that is distinctive and to differeniate Ubuntu in the market. And that has been successful in that you are LOSING many users. If you actually think touchy playtime toys are the future of Ubuntu then you've completely lost your mind and market.

As far as I'm concerned - and my corporate clients - Ubuntu has abandonded desktop and corporate users. Our "initial adjustment" is to REMOVE Ubuntu and go with one of your competitors.

Personally I am extremely disappointed at the "get used to it" attitude. I adopted Ubuntu and promoted it with my clients because it was solid and "enlightened". But now I have to do damage control because they hate it too in their evaluation.

And to rant a little more - as a 36-year software engineer and business owner I must say that your product management approach is simply broken. Ubuntu should have forked a different distro variant specifically for touchy toy things while leaving GNome in the main desktop/laptop distro. But at this point it appears that it's Unity or nothing - so we chose nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rockney View Post
    Well I tell you what - Unity is utterly worthless for people who make a living on a desktop. With 50" of flat panels a very few buttons and having to remember all the unusual names of the software I use and type-in partial names is a JOKE. That notion only works for a small-screen touchy toys, but NOT for serious full-time users. Do you folks really think someone is going to remove the O/S shipped on one of those touchy toys in favor of Unity?

All your spin on Unity is simply not accurate. The fact is Ubuntu developers wanted to break-away from GNome to do something on their own that is distinctive and to differeniate Ubuntu in the market. And that has been successful in that you are LOSING many users. If you actually think touchy playtime toys are the future of Ubuntu then you've completely lost your mind and market.

As far as I'm concerned - and my corporate clients - Ubuntu has abandonded desktop and corporate users. Our "initial adjustment" is to REMOVE Ubuntu and go with one of your competitors.

Personally I am extremely disappointed at the "get used to it" attitude. I adopted Ubuntu and promoted it with my clients because it was solid and "enlightened". But now I have to do damage control because they hate it too in their evaluation.

And to rant a little more - as a 36-year software engineer and business owner I must say that your product management approach is simply broken. Ubuntu should have forked a different distro variant specifically for touchy toy things while leaving GNome in the main desktop/laptop distro. But at this point it appears that it's Unity or nothing - so we chose nothing.
    Hmmm Hope your speaking for yourself. I like the way they are going.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    hmmm hope your speaking for yourself. I like the way they are going.
    +1
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    +1
    +2, and then some.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    +2, and then some.
    +3. But then I'm sorry his clients were misdirected into believing that Unity was the only desktop on Ubuntu.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've used many tablets, had my own computer repair business, used many cell phones, NO Unity does not resemble ANY of them. Are people blind? Wow. This is getting old, tired, and annoying. How people see unity as tablet/cell phone like I have no idea. I have yet to see a cell phone or tablet that looks or reacts like my desktop. Please get real.

If you can show me similarities between my cell phone and unity, I'll admit I was wrong. (no, you won't get a cookie)

I use keyboard shortcuts with unity. (can you do that with a tablet?) Enlighten me.

Tell me how unity would work on a smartphone? There's NO chance. It's not set up for it.

Android works for a reason. BECAUSE IT'S MADE FOR IT.
    Last edited by wolfen69; April 29th, 2012 at 07:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 to wolfen69's observations.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    +1 to wolfen69's observations.
    Thank you. Why people say unity is a tablet/cell phone os must mean they don't understand what OS means.

You can't run unity (in it's current state) on a cell phone. I have a hard time believing people are so hard nosed, and refusing to accept something new. And I've seen long time users say good bye.

If that's the case, and you're not willing to adapt, oh well. I wish you good luck. But I believe in what Canonical is doing and people will see that over time.

Beans

Why is my PC looking like a Microwave
    This account is not active.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast