Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Beans

Re: Why does my computer look like a tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    How productive are you when you've just been given an entirely new user interface to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    If the interface is intuitive, as it should be, Im alright.
    Both are true and fair statements..

But here is an idea for anyone here wanting to do so. How about an OFFICIAL Unity or even Gnome3 Quick-Start video, doesnt have to be about 5 mins long that can be displayed off the official Ubuntu.com website. Just a little Unity 101 demo to let those new to the interface have a heads up and know how to get around with the new interface. I honestly believe it would help improve the new user experience.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    If Unity makes them bang their heads again a wall, Windows 8 will have them jump off a bridge
    LOL Win8 makes me want to take a rusty razor to my wrist..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't like unity.
    When me and my friend buikd my desktop few months ago,
    i only had a live cd with me so we used it to install and test the system.
    Besides being a memhog on my machines (never much ram).
    I don't like that tabletty stuff.
    It's a DESKTOP not a tablet! The fact a 21.5" touchscreen is hooked up to it doesn't change that!
    I find unity less intuitive and slower to work with in general. (i have to keep searching for my apps)
    <insert frame from dilbert where dogbert says bah here>
    I'll keep my ubuntu-server based systems with custom desktop.
    And my nice config files (i don't like config apps for anything other than gfx).
    ThankYouVeryMuch
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

why don't you simply "pin" all your favorite and most used applications to the unity bar? then you wouldn't have to "search" for them...that's what i do...and those i rarely use i just start typing it's name in and there it is...

nothing difficult or slow about it....using a "fan out" style menu like on old ubuntu isn't faster and it doesn't even offer a search bar to use...

also, it is not anything like a tablet interface...it's a dock, somewhat along the lines of the mac...though it works a bit different...cairo dock of course is the closest to the action of an actual "mac" dock...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 8th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Guys,
    If I wanted an Apple or a tablet, I'd buy an Apple or a tablet. What I don't want is to be spending ages hunting around for basic functionality that's hidden under random icons (like eeurgh-spit-MS putting key functionality under some random MS Windows icon that doesn't even look like a menu choice).

In fact, I have a tablet and it's amazing. Now there's true usability - I found I was doing new stuff without even thinking about it, just because it was natural. What a shame that ubuntu is throwing away common sense by following the MS crowd and trying to be a tablet on a desktop - they are different machines and need different interfaces!
    Regards, David Argles
    ---
    Hmm, that should provoke some strong responses...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

"Tablet Version". Lol!

Do people not even look at what they are about to install before installing it?
    Good grief!

p.s.. Unity is awesome.
    Very intuitive and efficient, if you simply take a few minutes to grasp it.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Don't feed the necromancing trolls. ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook attacked convergence OSes in his response to a question about Windows 8, which applies to Unity as well:

"...anything can be forced to converge, but the problem is that products are about tradeoffs, and you begin to make tradeoffs to the point where what you have left doesn't please anyone. You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not gonna be pleasing to the user."
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/29...n-be-forced-to

Personally, I think this that as form factors continue to diversify it'll ultimately be unsustainable to make an entirely new OS for each one, and that ultimately OS X and iOS will merge, probably within three years. After all, Steve had said Apple wouldn't get into the music business, or the phone business, and had no interest in tablets; they're not a company that tips their hand about future directions.

But in the meantime, with Apple's leadership position this puts Unity in an uncomfortable spotlight, since Canonical's strategy parallels Microsoft's in terms of the vision of a single OS across all form factors.

What do you folks think?

Is making different OSes for different types of devices the smarter way to go, or is Canonical on the right track with Unity?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    Yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook attacked convergence OSes in his response to a question about Windows 8, which applies to Unity as well:

"...anything can be forced to converge, but the problem is that products are about tradeoffs, and you begin to make tradeoffs to the point where what you have left doesn't please anyone. You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not gonna be pleasing to the user."
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/29...n-be-forced-to

Personally, I think this that as form factors continue to diversify it'll ultimately be unsustainable to make an entirely new OS for each one, and that ultimately OS X and iOS will merge, probably within three years. After all, Steve had said Apple wouldn't get into the music business, or the phone business, and had no interest in tablets; they're not a company that tips their hand about future directions.

But in the meantime, with Apple's leadership position this puts Unity in an uncomfortable spotlight, since Canonical's strategy parallels Microsoft's in terms of the vision of a single OS across all form factors.

What do you folks think?

Is making different OSes for different types of devices the smarter way to go, or is Canonical on the right track with Unity?
    Well, Apple plans to switch from iOS to OSX soon, so iPad, iPhone, and Mac will all run off of the same OS.

That being said, Windows 8 just looks like I just booted up my xbox 360. I'm supposed to call that my computer. Ubuntu is nothing like that, it's just a little dock on the left hand side. It's nothing like a tablet at all. It is modern, sure, but all modern operating system have a sort of dock. I think it's quicker than menus. Even in Windows and Gnome 2, I rarely used those start menu type menu app launchers except for rare apps I don't use a lot. Most of the time I just used the pinned apps I could open in one click.

It takes an equal amount of time to find those rarely used apps, be it searching or rifling through menus. The point is, though, that it makes no sense to use either one TOO much. That's not a desktop error but a user error.

EDIT: But the sad truth of the matter is that the average consumer doesn't really spend all that much time on the computer. Smart phones have taken over, and desktops and laptops are reserved mainly for office buildings and people like us. The average person will probably learn to replace the desktop with their tablet, and will even probably really love Windows 8 as terrible as it will be.

So, if you're talking about Canonical suceeding, well they have nothing to lose and will surely succeed at what they are trying to do. When Windows completely does away with the desktop in a couple of years, Apple and Linux will be all that is left of desktop computing. What they are doing works, because they are trying to protect the identity of the modern desktop and still try to match Android and tablets. I love Android phones, when I cannot get to a computer, and I would certainly love to have one that is full linux and not a port of linux like Android is.
    Last edited by Mathor; April 26th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    When Windows completely does away with the desktop in a couple of years, Apple and Linux will be all that is left of desktop computing.
    Why on Earth would MS do that? Its the only area that they are succeeding in. Windows smartphones? No. Windows tablets? No. Windows enter anything here except PC's. No.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast