Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a new computer & can't install ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I bought a new computer & can't install ubuntu?

So you have tried the boot option called "nomodeset" ?

Beans

New computer is hard to set up!!!!!!! Ubuntu 11.04

This is a new computer, an HP Pavilion p6 series model# p6-2133w.
    Quad core w/8 gig's of ram running Win7. I can install Ubuntu 11.04
    and get everything going until I let it update video driver. Then all I get is a black screen. I can not even get 11.10 to boot. I installed 11.04 and upgraded to 11.10 and rebooted right to the black screen again. Full install not the wubi thing.I've really become attached to Ubuntu and would replace windows all together other than a few programs that wine won't fix. I was even getting used to Unity and starting to like it, but on this new faster computer Ubuntu says I don't have enough hardware to run it LOL.
    I tried Kubuntu, Linux Mint,etc. Any help would be great. Oh, and I can not watch any video like youtube etc.
    WTF, I thought Ubuntu had good support? I'll check back tomorrow!
    Last edited by onlychevys; April 8th, 2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: No reply? Really?

Beans

I don't know what "nomodeset" is. I can't do nothing at all!!!!!! All I see is a black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i think Puppy uses the VESA driver, which as far as I know, is as generic as can be.

Isn't there a way to force VESA when loading the live cd? When you get to the screen that says Intall or Try Ubuntu, does pressing F4 or F6, (I think the kernel options can be changed using F6), do anything, or are you already stuck with a black screen at this point?

Normally, when you press F4 or F6, an input window showing the current kernel parameters opens and you can make changes to that line... at least that's how it used to work. I haven't had to access those options in ages.

Oh, and you might be able to disable any onboard video card through your BIOS...
    Last edited by utnubuuser; April 8th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Kipling - "if"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did you follow the instructions in post #4 by Rodney9? But it may be f6 not f4.

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    Previously posted in post #4 - shows boot screens and f keys to add options like nomodeset from liveCD.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged.

Please do not start another thread on the same topic. We are all volunteers here and need to see others responses.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Threads merged.

Please do not start another thread on the same topic. We are all volunteers here and need to see others responses.
    I managed to get Ubuntu 10.04lts working as long as I don't update anything to do with video.If I do I'm right back to black. I've created another partition to play with until this is figured out because I'm tired of re-installing.
    As for now, no this was not fixed, I'm using Ubuntu on a different machine for the most part and I've had enough messing with it.
    Edit: As for trying to install a more up to date Ubuntu version, Boot to bios, start loading cd, BLACK SCREEN.
    No option to hit any keys, and it don't matter what key combo you might hit. Nothing but BLACK SCREEN!
    I love Ubuntu, I know my way around pretty good and can even write some Android apps. I really need the Android sdk and Java up and going smooth on this machine, which I have now, just on an older version of Ubuntu.
    I'm sorry for starting other thread but sold old machine & just backed up data and kind of panicked. I figured installing on this thing would be a breeze! LOL
    Last edited by onlychevys; April 11th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Beans

How would I go about finding the right driver? It don't matter if I use the system suggested proprietary driver or not. I managed to get Ubuntu 11.04 running but will not run Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by onlychevys View Post
    I boot to the black screen that says try without installing, install, etc. It don't matter witch I choose, as soon as it starts loading my monitor says no signal?
    Looks like the graphics hardware is too new.(The X.Org of Oneiric Ocelot don't support the graphics) Looks like you must wait for Precise Pangolin. Sorry.

Beans

OK!!!!!
    I found a working up to date driver. Now I just need to learn how to use this driver on a fresh install or should I upgrade? Or maybe leave things alone lol. I would love to upgrade to the newest 12.whatever because it is an LTS version. I'm on 11.04 now, would I have to upgrade to 11.10 & then again? By the way, this computer is new but I bought it at freakin Walmart on sale & as far as hardware it isn't that new. Only to me not technology.
    Last edited by onlychevys; April 13th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast